• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeanne
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2017

X-match leads to father's paternal line

I understand that the x-match from my father should only connect to his mother's family. Family finder, though, shows that the match goes to my father's paternal line.

There is absolutely no way that these maternal/paternal lines are connected unless we go to the stone age. So.... could the x-match be in error? How does FT decide if a person is an x-match?
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

How many cMs are shared on the X between your father and the match? Is the match male or female?

If the matching segment or segments on the X chromosome are small, they may be inherited by chance.

Have you used any charts that show the X-inheritance pattern, for both your father's and this match's ancestors who passed down their X chromosome(s)? Blaine Bettinger has some on his blog that you can fill in. This will help to illustrate the paths of inheritance, so you won't follow any path with two males in a row.

Comment

• georgian1950
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Jeanne View Post
      I understand that the x-match from my father should only connect to his mother's family. Family finder, though, shows that the match goes to my father's paternal line.

There is absolutely no way that these maternal/paternal lines are connected unless we go to the stone age. So.... could the x-match be in error? How does FT decide if a person is an x-match?
      Have you uploaded your kit to GEDmatch? I am not seeking the kit number, but if you are familiar with GEDmatch, I can suggest something that you might try.

Jack

Comment

• Dabney Carr
        FTDNA Customer
        • Apr 2016

Is it so hard to believe that someone who matches your father might also match your mother?

Comment

• Dabney Carr
          FTDNA Customer
          • Apr 2016

... or someone who matches your grandfather matches your grandmother.

I have a 2nd cousin once removed match here on FTDNA. She descends from two males on my mother's paternal side yet she shows as an X-match to me and my mother. Her father is not an x-match though. She is therefore doubly related somehow in that both her mother and father are related to me, but the father much more closely.

Comment

• travers
            FTDNA Customer
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Jeanne View Post

If the X match is below 7 cM's then disregard, some say to disregard if it is anything below 10 cM's.

Comment

Working...
            X