Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 17th February 2018, 08:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

MTDNA- Dumb Question I have to ask

I know that MtDNA tests results for your direct maternal line. I also know that men cannot pass their maternal DNA on. My father and I have both taken MtDNA tests, and the results showed Ashkenazi percentages that were unsurprising... if the those results showed both maternal and paternal DNA. So the dumb question I have to ask before both of our brains explode over Jewish ancestry on our respective maternal lines that neither one of us have documentation of: do MtDNA test results include ANY paternal DNA at all?
Old 17th February 2018, 10:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I know that MtDNA tests results for your direct maternal line.
True.

Quote:
I also know that men cannot pass their maternal DNA on.
The mitochondria of the egg cell is used when the egg cell and sperm cell merge.
A child gets half of it's nuclear DNA from each parent. So your sentence is only true, if you mean mitochondrial DNA.

Quote:
showed Ashkenazi percentages
Do you mean the "mtDNA - Ancestral Origins"-feature? If so, it is useless in determining ancestry.
If you mean the "FamilyFinder - myOrigins"-feature then you are looking at nuclear DNA - not mitochondrial DNA.

Quote:
do MtDNA test results include ANY paternal DNA at all
No.

Last edited by JesperS; 17th February 2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 17th February 2018, 11:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

If you mean the "FamilyFinder - myOrigins"-feature then you are looking at nuclear DNA - not mitochondrial DNA.

Yes, apologies, I should have clarified that. This makes sense. Thank you!