Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - Advanced Chat

Group Administrators - Advanced Chat Discussion forum for Project Group Administrators. Exchange experiences, ideas and interpretation of results.

Old 27th February 2018, 02:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

mtDNAPlus/HVR tests with specific subclade assignments?

I've seen two mtDNA project members who only tested mtDNAplus for the HVR region but they received very specific subclade assignments, as would be expected if they had tested the full mtDNA sequence. One person contacted the help desk but received a non-responsive answer - it appears that the help desk did not understand the question and did not look at his mtDNA test results. Is it possible that they tested the full mtDNA sequence? Note that the results are only reported for the HVR region, but they also report a very specific subclade than cannot be identified unless coding region results were also available.
Old 27th February 2018, 03:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Are you certain the coding region results are required?

My terminal subclade K1a10a is apparent in the HVR1 results alone.
Old 27th February 2018, 09:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Honeychuck View Post
Are you certain the coding region results are required? My terminal subclade K1a10a is apparent in the HVR1 results alone.
Yes, absolutely certain. Did FTDNA specifically identify you as K1a10a or did you determine this based on your HVR results?
Old 28th February 2018, 02:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
Yes, absolutely certain. Did FTDNA specifically identify you as K1a10a or did you determine this based on your HVR results?
Sorry, I can't remember at what point in the additional testing FTDNA did that. But I can answer your question. On the mtDNA K project, FTDNA has some cases listed as just K when their HVR1 is identical to K1a10a cases. Why FTDNA does that, I don't know.

The K Project's administrator has those K's grouped with K1a10a. I think that project administrator knows more about K than FTDNA does.
Old 28th February 2018, 08:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

I only tested mtDNAplus. FTDNA has me as K. 23andMe has me as K2. The K project has me in the K2b1b group.
Old 28th February 2018, 08:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Honeychuck View Post
On the mtDNA K project, FTDNA has some cases listed as just K when their HVR1 is identical to K1a10a cases. Why FTDNA does that, I don't know.
That is normal. Typically FTDNA will only assign the highest level haplogroup name based on HVR results, and the FMS test is needed to get the more specific subclade. However, I have seen two recent samples that tested only the HVR region and yet they still received the much more detailed subclade assignment. Something odd is going on with these two samples.
Old 24th March 2018, 10:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm getting more new project members who only tested the mtDNAplus/HVR region and yet have a very specific subclade prediction as if they had tested the full mtDNA sequence. Is it possible that FTDNA is testing the full sequence for people who order mtDNAplus, and providing their specific subclade, but not providing their coding region results? The coding region results must have been tested to identify the very specific subclades.