Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 10th November 2017, 10:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

very interesting, thank you all for your input and information!
the bit about scots migrating to poland is also quite fascinating.
in my case there are only 3 close relatives left to test, 2 estranged on the one side and my father who is resisting.

edited to add: i hadn't realized how long and widespread scottish migration has actually been.
http://www.genealogical.com/products...1850/9815.html
http://www.scottishdiasporatapestry.org/germany
https://flemish.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/...d-before-1700/

Last edited by Kohlehydrat; 10th November 2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12th November 2017, 06:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Basically, these tests can't differentiate western European populations because the peoples of western Europe have been moving around and mixing for thousands of years. They are a little better at differentiating Southern Europeans from Western Europeans. There was less mixing because of the mountain barrier.

The tests are good at differentiating populations who lived on different continents.

FTDNA says my mother is 8% Western European when in reality, she's over 75%. They give her 56% British Isles, when she's less than 25%. The rest they say is Eastern Europe and she doesn't have any Eastern European at all. On this latest version of the test, they seem to have decided that everyone who was western European should be changed to eastern.

My mother & Uncle also received BI % & they are 50 % Jewish w/Balkan & Abruzzi, Spanish/Turkish & German Ancestry. I think the BI = German
Old 17th November 2017, 10:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile

FTDNA gives me 40% British Isles, and 29% Scandinavian. My dad was 3/4 Norwegian. So I would think my Scandi would be higher. But there is that recombination with Meiosis that does things with a mind of its own, ha ha.
Old 18th November 2017, 12:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohlehydrat View Post
very interesting, thank you all for your input and information!
the bit about scots migrating to poland is also quite fascinating.
in my case there are only 3 close relatives left to test, 2 estranged on the one side and my father who is resisting.

edited to add: i hadn't realized how long and widespread scottish migration has actually been.
http://www.genealogical.com/products...1850/9815.html
http://www.scottishdiasporatapestry.org/germany
https://flemish.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/...d-before-1700/

Yeah, we were shocked to find the Barclay surname eventually turn up way back on one branch of my mom's Baltic German lines and then we saw that some other side branches somewhat more recently had a marriage with someone from Scotland. So just two cases right there all tied to just the going on of a single family in the Baltics. The former case we can't manage to trace back or connect anywhere yet, all we know is she was born around 1770, not even sure in what country so unfortunately we are not sure exactly what Barclay family they tie back to (or how to really even try to manage to figure it out). In the latter case we were surprised to get a hit to some trees from people in the U.S. and Scotland and have it traced back some from that (I bet they were even more shocked since most of their trees were 100% Scottish and were traced all over the place, some even guessed that the guy she married was Scottish, apparently they had a second marriage also back in Scotland as well as the one in Riga and some of them noticed that one, none seem to have had the remotest clue the guy was actually Baltic German and that they went back to Latvia and had kids there, heck FamilySearch hint suggestion was that he was Scottish and that they never had any kids! None of them had a clue she actually went off to Latvia.)

Then we read that apparently tens of thousands of Scottish went to Poland and the Baltics between 1600 and 1900.

Last edited by wombat; 18th November 2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 18th November 2017, 12:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

Also do keep in mind that MyOrigins 2.0 also seems a bit unstable. Also that Germany sort of splits into four main types, UK-type Germans, Scandinavian-type, Eastern Europeanish-type and more French-type. It's one of the trickiest regions to specifically pick out, so much mixing, practically every war went through there, so many migrations, etc.