Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 2nd September 2017, 02:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Will myOrigins ever have chromosome painting?

Will we get one sometime in the future, a chromosome painting feature for myOrigins that is? How soon? Anyone hear any news/details regarding this?

Last edited by Septem27; 2nd September 2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septem27 View Post
Will we get one sometime in the future, a chromosome painting feature for myOrigins that is? How soon? Anyone hear any news/details regarding this?
I assume you are not referring to the chromosome browser?

You are referring to a painting feature similar to what you can see on gedmatch?
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:55 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I like the way 23andMe maps segments of your chromosomes to ethnicity, though I would prefer to know the start and end points. If there were any accuracy in this ethnicity stuff, it would be great to use in conjunction with matches on the chromosome segments.

While no ethnicity estimates are trustworthy at this point in time, FTDNA's are by far the worst in my opinion.
Old 4th September 2017, 03:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
I like the way 23andMe maps segments of your chromosomes to ethnicity, though I would prefer to know the start and end points. If there were any accuracy in this ethnicity stuff, it would be great to use in conjunction with matches on the chromosome segments.

While no ethnicity estimates are trustworthy at this point in time, FTDNA's are by far the worst in my opinion.
I'm not sure why so much weight is put on "ethnicity estimates" anyway... regardless of the company. Ethnicity isn't necessarily influenced by genetics. More so influenced by shared national/cultural traditions.

I see FTDNA's ethnic breakdown results use broader terminology and regions that overlap each other.
Old 5th September 2017, 06:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

I hope that Family Tree DNA develops a "gedmatch" like set of ethnicity calculators, where a person could run their data against a number of different reference population setups, using different sets of SNPs.

As we all know, none of these are written in stone. To say that Family Tree DNA's estimates are the worst is simply stating that their reference populations & SNPs used is the worst. They should give us a number of different ways of calculating ethnicity.

Timothy Peterman
Old 5th September 2017, 10:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have never seen an admixture algorithm where the reference populations were described in any detail, nor any explanations of which SNP's were used, how they were selected, or any statistical measures that would tell us how well the algorithm performs. Does the public have any way to know a priori which algorithms should be preferred, even if more options were provided on FTDNA?
Old 9th September 2017, 10:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

https://dna-explained.com/2016/12/23...some-segments/
Old 9th September 2017, 10:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

I would prefer that FTDNA show both chromosomes to help triangulate matches.
Old 9th September 2017, 11:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septem27 View Post
It was announced at the 2012 FTDNA conference that they were planning Chromosome Painting but it never happened.

See #8 in the IT Road Map section at the following blog:

http://genealem-geneticgenealogy.blo...rnational.html

8. FTDNA will upgrade Population Finder by adding more populations more often and will have chromosome painting.