Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 21st June 2017, 10:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmason View Post
I found this interesting. My brother and I are showing 9% and 8% Asia Minor, respectively.

Until recently, my mother, who is of Ashkenazi descent, hadn't been tested, so I just assumed the "Asia Minor" stuff came from her Jewish heritage. But when she was tested, she didn't have any Asia Minor, so it must have come from my father's side. But they are "British" as far back as I've been able to trace, so I don't know why anyone should be showing a non-trivial Asia Minor component.
My ancestors are from the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal), mainly. But, I have ancestors from the Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Native Americans, Africans, Moors, Arabs, Phoenicians, and, maybe, Persians and Syrians. I had 8% of Asia Minor. Now, I have <2% of Asia Minor. I had no Ashkenazi. Now, I have 2% Ashkenazi. My ancestors were Sephardic Jews, mainly.

Last edited by winner; 21st June 2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: correction
Old 21st June 2017, 10:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
My ancestors are from the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal), mainly. But, I have ancestors from the Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Native Americans, Africans, Moors, Arabs, Phoenicians, and, maybe, Persians and Syrians. I had 8% of Asia Minor. Now, I have <2% of Asia Minor. I had no Ashkenazi. Now, I have 2% Ashkenazi. My ancestors were Sephardic Jews, mainly.
My mother had no Asia Minor. Now, she has <1% of Asia Minor and <1% of West Middle East.
Old 21st June 2017, 10:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
I had no Ashkenazi. Now, I have 2% Ashkenazi. My ancestors were Sephardic Jews, mainly.
Winner,
Genealogical ancestry doesn't always match genetic ancestry.

You've been referring repeatedly, for years, to your "Sephardic" ancestors. It might, perhaps, be true that your paper trail includes a Sephardi Converso immigrant or two who immigrated from Iberia to Brazil, but as you know from our earlier conversations, after I did a deep investigation of your GEDmatch and Family Finder matches, I found that you and your mother do not match any Jews on any valid triangulating autosomal DNA segments - neither Ashkenazic Jews nor Sephardic Jews.

Your "Ashkenazi" reading in MyOrigins 2.0 is noise. Neither that nor your "West Middle East" reading reflect Sephardic DNA, in your case.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaria View Post
Winner,
Genealogical ancestry doesn't always match genetic ancestry.

You've been referring repeatedly, for years, to your "Sephardic" ancestors. It might, perhaps, be true that your paper trail includes a Sephardi Converso immigrant or two who immigrated from Iberia to Brazil, but as you know from our earlier conversations, after I did a deep investigation of your GEDmatch and Family Finder matches, I found that you and your mother do not match any Jews on any valid triangulating autosomal DNA segments - neither Ashkenazic Jews nor Sephardic Jews.

Your "Ashkenazi" reading in MyOrigins 2.0 is noise. Neither that nor your "West Middle East" reading reflect Sephardic DNA, in your case.
khazaria, now I give up of DNA. Unfortunately, the companies are not able finding Sephardic ancestry of Conversos from Brazil, in the 1400's, 1300's. I have a lot of Sephardic Jews as ancestors, not two or three. Sorry, you are geneticists. However, the rabbies don't accept DNA tests as proof of Jewish ancestry. Genealogy is more important. I stop with DNA tests, right now. Please, don't reply this message!

GOODBYE!

Last edited by winner; 22nd June 2017 at 12:06 AM. Reason: correction
Old 26th June 2017, 12:58 PM

Genealogy doesn't prove Jewish blood, it proves an affiliation to Jewish communities.

Genetics, however, can indicate how much the affiliation to Jewish communities is backed up by Jewish genes.

Maybe in the MyOrigins 3.0, the Jewish genes will pop up...
Old 5th August 2017, 02:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm new to all this but was surprised to find Iberia 13% and Asia Minor 6% in my origins results. I would have expected a larger percentage of British isles but it was only 23%. But given that I know extremely little about my paternal grandfathers background who knows. As a newbie I admit I was like who has Turkish ancestry in my family ??
Old 5th August 2017, 11:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrielwb View Post
As a newbie I admit I was like who has Turkish ancestry in my family ??
Does it relate to modern-day Anatolian Turks?If i'm not wrong its reference population is Armenians.Except Azeris and Anatolian Turks Georgians,Armenians,Chechens (even Mountain Jews) get high percentage Asia Minor as well.

Last edited by musayev; 5th August 2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 19th August 2017, 01:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

Greetings.
I joined the forum looking for an answer for the very same questions that created this thread. My recent results included 14% middle eastern, with an 8% anatolian and a 4% north African. I am of hispanic ancestry and my Y-DNA is R1B (R-M269).
My curiosity about the Anatolian part concerns a "window of time". Is my 8% from the hunter-gatherer period? Hittite? Lydian? Bithynian? Carian? Greek? Turkish? a combination of all?
Reading the posts I see that the question remains unanswered.
I am completely new to the genealogical DNA world and my knowledge is so far very limited.
Ceasar

Last edited by keisar; 19th August 2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 24th August 2017, 11:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Before taking origins 2 seriously..

Have a look at my results (11% Sephardic) and my father (Carl) and mother's results (Blanche) (no Jewish to speak of). My father is half Iranian and half european, my mother 100% Europe, mostly Italy and France.

There is a technical issue here with the algorithms. Clearly my Sephardic results should be Asia Minor, as they WERE (17%) in origins 1. I would not want someone to waste too much time chasing down something that is not even there to begin with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myorigins.jpg (52.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg myoriginsblanche.jpg (53.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg myoriginscarl.jpg (51.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by JamesBianco; 24th August 2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 29th August 2017, 10:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Im 34% asia minor.