Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 11th November 2017, 10:50 PM
FTDNA Customer
What really makes no sense is what DNA.Land does where it calls the northern half of what FTDNA calls Eastern Europe the Northern Slavic category even though it peaks in the Baltics who are not Slavic! That is really confusing. And then for their heat map, unless you have some Ashkenazi, they don't show any heat over Poland or the Baltics and make it seem like your ancestry is east of the Baltics and Poland even if you are almost 100% Baltic and/or Polish.
Old 24th December 2017, 09:55 PM
FTDNA Customer
I think it's almost guaranteed that the FTDNA Eastern Europe cluster includes much Eastern Germanic and even Bavarian ,Franconian ,Saxon and Prussian dna (&others). This dna has become so intimately entwined over the past 1000+ years in many people particularly of Czech ,Sorbian ,Slovak & Silesian origins that it may not be able to be separated out due to the highly admixed reference populations behind these calculators.Even ancient dna shows admixture between the groups so it is very difficult to separate an eastern german from a western slav.
Slavic & Germanic refer to languages only as in the centre of Europe it has literally been a melting pot of various tribes , cultures and languages for millennia. See the very informative research by Kushniarevich et al 2015 http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0135820 , which showed great differences autosomally between the various slavic speaking peoples. All people of any of the various language groups will have a fair share of dna from the other groups. For this all to show as 100% Eastern European takes people no further into finding anything meaningful in their quest for their ethnogenesis.
I truly hope FTDNA attempts at getting better granularity on this for Origins 3. I do acknowledge though that no cluster is going to be perfectly defined.