Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 7th March 2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul001 View Post
Hi Malchik,

Your analysis and help was great.
I am glad I can help.

Quote:
This would mean my parents came from Austria?
However, there is a strong Italian component in my DNA. Austrians of mixed heritage?
You definitely have some ancestors who lived in Eastern Europe, your percentage for that component is high. Since you dont know where your parents come from, the conclusion you can draw from this is that IF they both came from the same place, this place would be around that area.

However, IF they DIDNT come from the same place, then it means that COMBINED it LOOKS LIKE they come from that area. But it can be you have a German father and a Polish mother or any other plausible combination.

You have to take these tests as compasses, they give you some directions but they cannot pin point locations with accuracy, just approximation.

In fact, it does not necessarily mean you have Italian ancestors, or Iberian, etc... it means that both Italians and 'Austrians' had somewhere in the past common ancestors.

This would mean you should compare yourself more with people from that are and look for similarities in their composition.

Quote:
Those GEDMatch tools are really helpful. Is there any other free tool that you can recommend?
DNA.Land ist another type of GEDMatch, as the colleague already said. I supposed in the future, you will be able to narrow down.

Do you have any matches in FTDNA? Where are they from? This can also help you to find out something more about your origins.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Frank,

thanks for your reply. I took a look at the website DNAland and the team consists of scientists at Columbia University. They should be able to deliver good results and if the service is free, I will certainly give it a try.

Paul
Old 7th March 2017, 11:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Malchik,

I appreciate your help.

East-West mixture is plausible in my case and the border of Austria would also make sense.
However, Eurogenes K36 had a notable Italian component and myOrigins had Southern Europe with 44%.

I will definitely upload my results to DNAland to see what results they get.

Paul
Old 8th March 2017, 08:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Push pins doubts

Dear colleagues,

My FTDNA push pins results spots, one of then, in one region that I haven't any kind of knowledge in my family about that. It was located in Ireland, for dad side. But, no one in my family don't know absollutelly nothing about any irish, british ancestry. Even any ancient oral tradition!!! Someone here could explain me what represent this tool (push pins) at FTDNA? Is it shows the country where your ancestry came from, actually? If it istn't, what is this shows? thanks!
Old 8th March 2017, 10:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarela View Post
Dear colleagues,

My FTDNA push pins results spots, one of then, in one region that I haven't any kind of knowledge in my family about that. It was located in Ireland, for dad side. But, no one in my family don't know absollutelly nothing about any irish, british ancestry. Even any ancient oral tradition!!! Someone here could explain me what represent this tool (push pins) at FTDNA? Is it shows the country where your ancestry came from, actually? If it istn't, what is this shows? thanks!
If you hover your cursor over where you turn the pins on it describes that it isn't your locations but those for your matches. The push pins are basically useless. Those are just the self reported locations for your matches direct paternal and direct maternal lineage. It has no meaning most likely for you as the odds are you won't be related to people on their direct paternal or direct maternal lines but most likely related through another branch of their family. FTDNA offers it as a visual in case you are related through one of those two branches but in most cases it will not apply to you as a match to that person.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Malchik and Frank,

Here are my results from DNA.Land:

West Eurasian 100%:

Northeast European 47%: North Slavic 40%, Finnish 7.1%

South European 23%: South/Central European 19%, Balkan 3.7%

Northwest European 18%

Southwestern European 12%

An image with more details is attached.
This result looks more like the one from myOrigins, but with a different emphasis.
I was hoping for a similar result to AncestryDNA (East-West).
This means that the Italian element is stronger than I thought. North Slavic is also more in the direction of Russia than Poland or Hungary.

What do you think of these results and how would you compare them to the previous results.
Malchik, is your conclusion still the same and northern Austria the best location?

I appreciate your help.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot-dna.land 2017-03-08 17-09-30.jpg (88.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th March 2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Malchik, is your conclusion still the same and northern Austria the best location?
Paul, I am not saying northern Austria is the best location. I am just guessing that IF they both came from the same place, this place would be around that area.

However, IF they DIDNT come from the same place, then it means that COMBINED it LOOKS LIKE they come from that area. But it can be you have a German father and a Polish mother or any other plausible combination.

You have to take these tests as compasses, they give you some directions but they cannot pin point locations with accuracy, just approximation.
Old 29th October 2017, 06:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi to all,

there is another serious contender in the field, MyHeritage. Here are my results:

North and West Europe: 45.0%
English 21.1%
North and West European 12.7%
Scandinavian 6.5%
Finnish 4.7%

East Europe: 44.6%
Balkan 25.3%
Baltic 19.3%

South Europe: 9.6%
Greek 9.6%

Ashkenazi Jewish 0.8%
Ashkenazi Jewish 0.8%

Basically, these results are similar to others, except for one country: Can someone please explain to me, why no other company mentioned in this thread has detected my English heritage? 21.1% is also a high number. It certainly came as a surprise to me.

I appreciate your feedback.

Paul
Old 29th October 2017, 10:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Hi to all,
Basically, these results are similar to others, except for one country: Can someone please explain to me, why no other company mentioned in this thread has detected my English heritage? 21.1% is also a high number. It certainly came as a surprise to me.

I appreciate your feedback.

Paul
Different names for populations, how exact is their terminology for a certain region, etc.

What are their reference populations like?

The list goes on.

For myself, I like to compare the results and sort of average out how each company or program interprets them. I don't think putting a lot of weight into these ethnicity estimates is all that useful. It's not an exact science.