Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 8th August 2017, 08:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Banat Bulgarian Paulicians DNA

My mother's paternal line (father) is of Bulgarian(grandfather)-Hungarian(grandmother) ethnic origin from the region of Banat i.e. today Vojvodina in Serbia. Although both Bulgarian and Hungarian family belonged to the specific community (Paulicians), the Bulgarian family especially (due to recorded history and so on) is and can be related to the ethnic community of Roman Catholic Bulgarians i.e. Paulicians.

The relatively small Banat Roman Catholic Bulgarian community compared to the Orthodox Bulgarian was formed from two groups in different regions, one from missionary activities of the Roman Catholic Church in the 17th century among merchants and artisans from Chiprovtsi, second from Paulicians among peasants from Svishtov and Nikopol. The Paulicianism was a social-religious teaching and movement which was formed in the second half of 7th century in the parts of Armenia and Syria. Due to various mostly political reasons, already from the 8th-century tens of thousands of Paulicians lived in Thrace, a historical region today mostly in Bulgaria then of Byzantine Empire, to militarily strengthen the border against the Bulgarians. They had a religious freedom until c. 11th century when they majority was Christianised to the official faith by Alexios I Komnenos. Over the centuries they started to assimilate with the Bulgarians, however never fully accepted by the Orthodox Church, with specific traditions, they lived separately from the Bulgarian community. As such the Roman Catholic Franciscans since the 16th-17th century, perhaps even earlier, managed to convert them to Catholicism. As an ethnic identity, even today, the Bulgarian Paulicians consider themselves as Bulgarians among other ethnic groups, but as Paulicians when compared to Bulgarians.

I understand that ethnicity estimates can not be considered as facts, yet as Roberta Estes stated, "more of a hint or a road sign, pointing the way to potential answers that may be reaped from traditional genealogical research" (April 4, 2017). The issue is that for now, I am not able to do genealogical research of my mother's paternal line, and even if could, the earliest related preserved records in Serbia are from the early 19th century, while although do not know if the line can be followed in Romanian or Bulgarian records, I doubt the possibility.

However, in the FTDNA's myOrigins ethnic makeup of my mother, there's a percentage of the genetic population from geographical region of Middle East i.e. those populations clusters which I can not explain otherwise compared to my other family members who also have in traces Asia Minor cluster, but which can be easily and vaguely explained with Middle Eastern proximity to Southeastern Europe.

Ethnic Makeup Percentage:

Middle Eastern 11%:
- Asia Minor 11%
- East Middle East < 2% (traces)
- West Middle East < 1% (traces)

I read somewhere that the myOrigins feature was designated to pick up ancient ancestry, from 1000 to several thousand years ago. Can someone experienced confirm this assertion? Can the feature trace a populations migration at least 1400 years ago (more or less due to possible inter-community isolation)? The finding could be interesting because it would confirm that the Paulicians did really arrive from the specific regions in the Middle East and it was not just about spreading the ideological movement among the Bulgarian natives.

Last edited by LPoropat; 8th August 2017 at 09:18 PM.