Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 20th January 2018, 07:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Please allow more privacy options

I put this in grumbles and gripes. Admins of projects are able to see sensitive peraonal data that have nothing to do with the project. Please consider allowing. Customer to turn off , if desired, access by admins to seeing autosomal matches, my origins breakdown, and preferably also mailing address and beneficiary info. These things have sensitive private info and there is no reason that an admin of an mtdna project or Y project admin should be allowed to seeFamily Finder matches if the customer does not wish to reveal this private info that is not relevant to the projects. Since customer can turn on and off other privacy features, why not also allow these other choices that are even more important.
Old 20th January 2018, 08:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

If you don't want the admin to see any of your Family Finder results don't join the project. You can two kits. One for your Family Finder and another for your Family Finder.

Since you don't want the admin to see your FF matches do you also want to block your matches from seeing any of your other matches and maybe not even see you?

If you are in any of my projects please let me know. I'll be happy to remove you.

Last edited by Jim Barrett; 20th January 2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 20th January 2018, 07:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Why are you defensive on the topic of people wanting to join projects whilst at the same time maintaining their privacy? Sure people can just not join projects (or can buy multiple kits if have money to burn) but why not simply build in the option to turn off access to data that admins have no business rifling through? I am project admin by the way for 6 projects.

Last edited by penguin; 20th January 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 20th January 2018, 11:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Why are you defensive on the topic of people wanting to join projects whilst at the same time maintaining their privacy? Sure people can just not join projects (or can buy multiple kits if have money to burn) but why not simply build in the option to turn off access to data that admins have no business rifling through? I am project admin by the way for 6 projects.
I saw your message where you said you uploaded your data, found what you want and now you want to remove your data. The I want to see you, but I don't want you to see me syndrome! You give me something, I'll give you nothing!
Old 21st January 2018, 09:05 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Jim, penguin manages several kits (at least), and is manager of several projects. This is what I gathered from recent posts. It is a person who tested (one of these managed kits) who wants to remove his data. See http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...17&postcount=1

Perhaps penguin's interest in privacy features was spurred on by that tested person. Maybe penguin should contact Darren on these forums, as well as submitting his suggestion using the support request form on the Customer Support page. I was going to suggest that penguin use the Family Tree DNA Feedback form, but it seems to have been changed to be, if not exactly like the support request form, very much like it (it's now titled "Submit a Request for Assistance").
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

KATM,

This forum is not the place for sending request to FTDNA. They monitor it to be sure we don't get out of hand, but not much more. Darren dose step in from time to time.

Penguin's interest have been made clear in several different places. Basically he wants us to let him see our information, but doesn't want us to be able to see his or that of his project members. Genealogy and DNA testing should be a give and take operation, not take, take, take.
Old 24th January 2018, 10:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

I don't understand why showing FF data is bad. What bad case scenario do you imagine that makes you want to hide that? It actually can help in YDNA and mtDNA projects. Many customers are very new to understanding their results and want help from admins. Admins can use that FF data to tell them "no this Y match can't be a close cousin" and other such examples. I've had a project member ask me to edit their "most distant known ancestor" text field. So there are people out there that want/need help.

There was word that they were working on updating the profile setup. No idea when that will get done. So they may already be working on what you want or adjacent to it. As for the mailing address, remember that you can always remove it from the kit. If you are not waiting for any test results, your sample isn't going to get used up and therefore a new collection kit won't be sent. So you can always leave a project when you are going to be waiting for test results. Though we haven't seen a case where an admin abused those privileges, yet.