Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 17th January 2018, 06:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Are they backed up? Delays?

FTDna shipped my kit (Family Finder) on the December 26. It took like 10 days for me to get the kit. I sent it back and it's going to be close to 14 days and it still doesn't show that they have received my samples. I sent it the same day I got it. Still showing "Pending" under the process status. I'm in no hurry nor requesting faster service, my only concern is that my kit didn't get lost. They don't update their system often?

Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 06:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Last Kit I sent was mailed from a Postal Substation on Jan. 2, and marked as received Jan. 15. Think they only record as received on at most 2 days a week, one being Monday.
I had copied the Tracking Number -- and that turned out to be even more worrisome than if I hadn't.
Probably has not gotten lost, and will arrive soon.
Old 17th January 2018, 09:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobster View Post
Last Kit I sent was mailed from a Postal Substation on Jan. 2, and marked as received Jan. 15. Think they only record as received on at most 2 days a week, one being Monday.
I had copied the Tracking Number -- and that turned out to be even more worrisome than if I hadn't.
Probably has not gotten lost, and will arrive soon.
That makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

The way the local post office handles mail for FTDNA is different from expected. FTDNA's mail (kits we send) are placed in a mail bag and delivered to FTDNA once a week. Which means your kit could stay in the post office for almost a week longer.

Once FTDNA receives the kits, they mark them received. After that they have to batch the kit for the tests you ordered. Batching is basically their starting point for running the tests. Batching takes place on Mondays and Wednesdays.

In the past, kits have also gotten stuck in Houston's sorting facility before heading to FTDNA's local post office. So if it takes a while longer than you expect, it does not mean it got lost. It could just mean it got delayed on its way.
Old 19th January 2018, 05:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

If this is true why do they batch kits twice a week?
Old 19th January 2018, 05:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

Jim, if this is true or not: when you are doing an upgrade (and mailing your sample is not involved) it can get batched earlier, if they batch more often.
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

If anyone is wondering. They got my kit the day following my original post. They just updated it again today and gave me a batch number.

Old 23rd January 2018, 05:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi1981 View Post
If anyone is wondering. They got my kit the day following my original post. They just updated it again today and gave me a batch number.
Your original post was on Wednesday, Jan. 17. This means they didn't get your kit until Thursday. They only batch on Monday and Wednesday. Yesterday was the first day they batch after they got your kit.
Old 24th January 2018, 09:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Your original post was on Wednesday, Jan. 17. This means they didn't get your kit until Thursday. They only batch on Monday and Wednesday. Yesterday was the first day they batch after they got your kit.
Thanks. The updates are coming in more often now. My expected wait has changed more than once. Currently they have me for March 5.