Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 17th January 2018, 11:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Duplicates / Merging in Family Trees

So, the company got back to me, so I kind of have the answer, but maybe someone else has a solution.

My GEDCOM that I uploaded to the My Family Tree portion of the site has over 4,000 individuals in it. Once you get back to the 1400s, most of the lines come down from the children of the same individuals. I have been manually uploading the individual lines and wanted to merge various individuals.

The compony said that their program doesn't allow for that. Anyone come across this same issue and find a work around?

Thank you in advance.
Old 17th January 2018, 01:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Daddy View Post
So, the company got back to me, so I kind of have the answer, but maybe someone else has a solution.

My GEDCOM that I uploaded to the My Family Tree portion of the site has over 4,000 individuals in it. Once you get back to the 1400s, most of the lines come down from the children of the same individuals. I have been manually uploading the individual lines and wanted to merge various individuals.

The compony said that their program doesn't allow for that. Anyone come across this same issue and find a work around?

Thank you in advance.
use Personal Ancestral File 5 you can do it with it
Old 18th January 2018, 07:08 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc_44 View Post
use Personal Ancestral File 5 you can do it with it
Beginning July 15, 2013, PAF will be retired and will no longer be available for download or support. For full details and for information on alternative products, please visit http://familysearch.org/PAF.

When I want a DNA test I use a DNA testing company. When I want to build a family tree I use a program built by a genealogy company. FYI - Ancestry is neither.
Old 18th January 2018, 08:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Beginning July 15, 2013, PAF will be retired and will no longer be available for download or support. For full details and for information on alternative products, please visit http://familysearch.org/PAF.

When I want a DNA test I use a DNA testing company. When I want to build a family tree I use a program built by a genealogy company. FYI - Ancestry is neither.
What does this post even mean? Yes, PAF is no longer available but what does Ancestry have to do with it? Ancestry and FamilySearch are completely different and one has nothing to do with the other.
Old 18th January 2018, 08:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Not to put words in Jim's mouth, but I regard both FamilySearch and Ancestry as valuable services, but not the best place to record one's personal genealogy. Your own family tree, and a lifetime of your own research, need to be maintained in a way that insulates them from the whims of corporate programmers and web site fashions. They also need to be private and secure, and they need to be flexible enough to handle all the situations that come up in real families, while also providing the features you want and allowing you to bypass features you don't want. Fortunately, there are many excellent genealogy programs for the home computer that meet these requirements.
Old 18th January 2018, 10:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post

you can download it still and it doesnt upload your tree its private on your computer
Old 18th January 2018, 02:39 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

For the original poster, please read this thread:
http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=42037
You will need to use the Chrome browser to get the workaround (described in my post in that thread) to work.

And now a boring spiel I feel compelled to write, which all can feel free to ignore :
Genealogy software produces GEDCOMs, which can be used to create various family tree charts, reports and even webpages. GEDCOMs can be uploaded to websites that support showing a family tree (pedigree). The tree tools of these websites, whether of a genetic genealogy DNA testing company, or otherwise, have different features and abilities. Some are better than others. Some of the websites may only allow downloading a GEDCOM from the trees users have on their sites by using outside tools. Others may not have this downloading capability at all.

It is really a must to have genealogy software, if you are dealing with websites where you want to have a tree. It's the only way you will not lose changes to your tree, because you will have it on your computer (best to back it up, too), and not have to make changes online.

Direct to Consumer genetic genealogy DNA testing companies can provide several things.
1. They can test for certain health markers, and provide reports based on studies
2. They can provide matching to other customers, to find relatives
3. They can provide other services, such as tools to interpret the genealogy results (they can show ethnicity estimates, chromosome browsers, etc.)
4. They can offer the ability to upload or create a family tree pedigree*
5. They can offer records*
* This is not related directly to DNA testing.

From information on each at Wikipedia, we can gather the following:
  • Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) was started in 2000 as a DNA testing company for genetic genealogy. Currently, DNA matches can be connected to the family tree tool, which allows phasing of your match list to maternal and paternal groups. FTDNA provides #2, 3 and 4.
  • 23andMe started providing direct to consumer genetic testing in late 2007, and have had a health emphasis from the start. 23andMe offers #1, 2 and 3.
  • Ancestry.com is a genealogy research website, offering historical databases by subscription. Subscribers can have family trees in their accounts; in the past (and perhaps currently), the trees could be linked to a particular genealogy software program. The owner of the tree can download a GEDcom file of that tree. Ancestry.com provides #4 and 5.
    • Their AncestryDNA arm is their genetic genealogy testing company, which began autosomal DNA testing in 2012. Their DNA results produce related matches, which can show a match's family tree, if they have one. DNA customers may create a tree as well. AncestryDNA provides #2, with the ability for #4. They do not provide #3. There are limits on features for getting full use of your DNA matches' information if a customer does not also have a subscription to Ancestry.com.
Companies for genealogy which do not do DNA testing, but provide some option for having a tree:
  • The FamilySearch.org website was offered to the public in 1999 to aid users in researching their family histories. It added a "Family Tree" option (available to all) to the site in 2013, where users could create a tree. FamilySearch.org provides #4 and 5.
  • GEDmatch.com is a website that allows registered users to upload their results from several genetic genealogy DNA testing companies, to use to view matching to many other users, plus various tools (ethnicity predictors, chromosome browser, etc.). GEDmatch.com provides #2, 3 and 4.
If you can make sense of all that, you're ready for the "Five Houses" puzzle, sometimes called "Einstein's puzzle." When I first encountered that puzzle as a child, the men in the houses smoked various cigarette brands, which in this version has been replaced by "hobbies."

I also agree with John McCoy's post above.

Last edited by KATM; 18th January 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 19th January 2018, 06:13 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc_44 View Post
you can download it still and it doesn't upload your tree its private on your computer
It will create GEDCOMS which you can upload. But as you say, it is on your computer so others can't screw up your copy of your data.

Where do you download it from?
Old 19th January 2018, 01:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

http://mpafug.org/PAFprograms.html