Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 27th November 2017, 02:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down Contacting FTDNA - Contact Form not working

7 November FTDNA promised I would hear from them within a few business days.
When I query the lack of follow-up I get automsted responses telling me to use Contact Us Form.

FTDNA assert that their query procedure is shows a 50% improvement using the Form. However, as form often fails to work, the reported efficiency may not be valid.

There is apparently no way to tell FTDNA that the Contact US Form is not working

My original query was how can I order 20 kits to administer at afamily event at Christmas. A response was promised - then silence. I already manage (and pay for) quite a few Kits(inclluding quite a few Big Y) and was hoping to enlarge the project

Some Query References are 706535, 718546 & 719497

Kafka's Message from the Emperor appears to be the motif for the new service model paradigm
Old 27th November 2017, 03:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 371016 View Post

There is apparently no way to tell FTDNA that the Contact US Form is not working
Right you are.
The last live reply from them was 17 November.

It was so relevant that I think that they all turned into robots.

Last edited by kom; 27th November 2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 27th November 2017, 06:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 371016 View Post
Of course there is and it is listed at the bottom of every page on this forum.

(713) 868-1438 Call Monday thru Thursday 9 AM to 4 PM CST (Houston, Texas time) and on Friday from 9 AM until noon.
Old 27th November 2017, 08:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Of course there is and it is listed at the bottom of every page on this forum.

(713) 868-1438 Call Monday thru Thursday 9 AM to 4 PM CST (Houston, Texas time) and on Friday from 9 AM until noon.
Please, take into account some wonderful fact: FTDNA works not only with american customers, but all over the world.

Last edited by kom; 27th November 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 27th November 2017, 11:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

The reason the contact form sometimes does not work is due to some glitch with their anti-spam function. You should see a "I'm not a robot" checkbox next to the "Submit" button. If it does not show up, refresh the page (F5) and see if that helps. You may need to close the window and reopen it. Once it is there, make sure you check that box for the message to be sent to them.

The 20 kits you wish to order, do you want tests attached to them or are they all of a certain type of test? If they are of a specific test, you may be better off ordering them through the site than waiting on them. If you are trying to order blank kits with no tests tied to them, then you will have to wait for them to reply to your message.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks Contemplator

It is less than encouraging that FTDNA leave it to customers to advise other customers on how FTDNA processes work

At least I now have some indication of how the process might eventually work as regards getting kits.

Maybe most people are more organised than me, but I cannot predict with certainty which tests will be most appropriate for different family members until I establish which ones are willing to undertake which test, their gender and their relationship with other kits already tested or expected to be tested.

As another comment understands, not all customers live in USA or in time zones compatible with Houston. I am one of those separated brethern
Old 27th November 2017, 08:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Sounds like you are thinking of getting blank kits with no tests tied to them. I've done that. I've also bought Y-DNA tests without knowing if I would get someone to take them. In my case, I knew I had different options on which male relatives I could test so if one said no, I had other options.

When ordering blank kits, since I didn't mention the gender, the default was male. To change, you have to contact FTDNA to get them to change the specific kit number from male to female. Male is a good default as you have the option of ordering Y-DNA tests.

The only price for blank kits is the shipping which is really the cost of the actual collection kit, shipping, and prepaid return shipping (if in the US). However, given that you are outside of the US, the shipping will cost more and I have no idea exactly what.

If you plan on testing any elderly relatives, you may also think about asking for extra swabs/vials. That way if you intend on having a kit take multiple tests down the road, you have plenty of DNA to use up. I did this for a relative who was in his late 90's when I had him take a test. He is still around, but at least I have some peace of mind when I order another test and don't have to worry about running out. Though to be fair they can use one vial for multiple tests. Just make sure whoever is donating DNA is scrubbing firmly (without causing pain) for at least half a minute or more. FTDNA does not notify you when the sample has run out or has gone bad. They simply ship a new collection kit to the address on the kit. So make sure that address is up to date.

Customer support has normally been good the times I have needed something. I think the holiday sale causes a lot of customers to need well support.
Old 28th November 2017, 01:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks Contemplator

I have already worked with quite a few kits - the issue is I would like to work with more kits, but cannot get past the defences.

The problem is actually getting into contact with a sentient being within FTDNA.

I have been getting Kits as required from project administrators, who are very helpful. But I do not want to keep 'pestering' them for something that I should be able to order directly from FTDNA, or least get told by FTDNA that this is not the way they want to work if that is the reality.

I agree that Customer Support was good for last several years but something is now(recently) off the rails and they seem to have a feedback loop that does not give them feedback.

I worked in IT sector for many decades, including with CRM type situations, and feel competent to judge a broken system - FTDNA now have a broken system and are citing their new approach as effective in driving down negative feedback.

It is stunning that they do not appear to review feedback other than via the non-working "Contact Us" form.
Old 29th November 2017, 10:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

I guess they don't realize the contact form has issues if the people who use it don't have that issue. I used in not that long ago, works for me.

You can try to private message Darren. He is the only FTDNA staff member that I know of that checks the forums from time to time. PM him your email and what you need and hey should be able to help. Might take him a day or so to get back.

I think the holidays bring about a lot of customers seeking help in many ways.
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:15 PM
H11a2a | R-Y17491

I have reported the issue both on Facebook and via the contact form that works on the Maxthon browser. It doesn't work on Firefox or Chrome. It's coding related obviously. FF and Chrome does not read the particular piece of code any longer, which is why it's not displayed. But it bothers me that it's been reported by several people for quite some time and yet they don't look into it. Not everyone lives in the US and it's quite a expensive to make a call to America, not to mention that Houston office ours doesn't always work with when people elsewhere can call. Being able to communicate via email is necessary when you're elsewhere in the world.