Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 25th November 2017, 03:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Just to confirm that I have now managed to report this problem via the Contact/Support 'Open a Request' link.

I've included a link to this thread in my report.

As The Contemplator mentioned, thanks, it was absence of the 'I'm Not a Robot' reCAPTCHA box that prevented me from submitting the request the first time. It only displayed after the page had been refreshed.

Thanks to all for your comments

~
Old 29th November 2017, 10:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Update:

I've just received a reply about this from FTDNA Customer Care in which they suggest that it's my own computer settings that are wrong and causing the problem.

I think that's unlikely as I only get fixed, immovable, Profile pop-ups on Y-STR Match pages (like Y-37 and Y-67) but not on other Match pages like on Family Finder (FF), mtDNA, or BigY. Also, the Y-STR Profile pop-ups used to scroll correctly but stopped doing so some months ago, suggesting a programming/coding change at that time rather than anything else.

However ... before I reply to them I'd like someone else to confirm that the problem is affecting other people, please, so I can eliminate the possibility that it's only affecting my computer.

So, if there's someone out there who's tested on Y-STR tests (like Y-37 or Y-67) and has also tested on other tests like FF, mtDNA or BigY, for comparison, and is accessing FTDNA via a 15-inch laptop screen with IE11 or, preferably, the Chrome browser, could they please:

a) go to their Y-DNA Match page (eg Y-67), click on a match name to bring up the pop-up Profile for that person, and then see if they can scroll that profile up and down the screen using either their touch-pad or the slider on the scroll bar to the right of the screen.

b) go to the Match page for one of their other tests, like FF, mtDNA or BigY, and repeat the actions described above in para a).

I find that the pop-up Profiles are fixed and unscrollable under condition a) for the Y-STR (eg Y-67) matches, but not under condition b) for the other types of test.

Any responses gratefully received, thanks.

~

PS: They rather unhelpfully suggested that I could 'fix' the problem by Zooming out. This is just the workaround that I suggested earlier in this thread. It is not a fix.
Old 29th November 2017, 12:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caburn View Post
Update:

I find that the pop-up Profiles are fixed and unscrollable under condition a) for the Y-STR (eg Y-67) matches, but not under condition b) for the other types of test.
Didn't follow what you meant from the beginning, since I could not notice any problem. So I changed my resolution to low. And now I understand. And it's as you say. In Y-matches pages, there is no "scroll" that appear on my right hand side of the browser (an extra "scroller", not the "scroller" for the whole page).
Think anyone can test this actually without lowering the resolution. Only make the browser smaller (i.e. don't have it occupy the whole desktop).
So I would say FTDNA has a "fault" on the Y-matches page. They need to check how they handle the "modal" on that page, since it obviously differ from FamilyFinder matches page.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks, JMAishere, for testing and confirming that you found the same effect.

I'm fairly sure, as you say, that it's down to the way they've programmed the page/profile attributes.

I hadn't realised that screen resolution might be a factor, but I think that's only a secondary thing. For the record I'm using a 15-inch screen with the recommended 1366x768 screen res.

~

Thanks also for your observation about the absence of the 2nd scrollbar on the Y-STR match results pages.

Actually there is no consistency in the way that the Profile pop-ups work across different tests:

FF Test - Profile pop-up scrolls up and down with second scrollbar. Each pop-up has to be closed before opening a new one.

Y-STR Tests (eg Y-67) - Profile pop-up has no secondary (profile) scroll-bar and does not scroll up and down anyway so the lower part of the pop-up is truncated/hidden. Each pop-up has to be closed before opening a new one.

BigY Test - Profile pop-up has no secondary (profile) scroll-bar but does scroll up and down using the main page scrollbar. Successive profile pop-ups can be opened without having to close the previous one. (This is how FF used to work, where Profiles could be opened one after the other.)

myDNA Test - Profile pop-up has no secondary (profile) scroll-bar but does scroll up and down using the main page scrollbar. Successive profile pop-ups can be opened without having to close the previous one.

~

I'll wait a day to see if anyone else reports-in before replying to FTDNA. Thanks.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:55 PM
R-BY39877

Quote:
So, if there's someone out there who's tested on Y-STR tests (like Y-37 or Y-67) and has also tested on other tests like FF, mtDNA or BigY, for comparison, and is accessing FTDNA via a 15-inch laptop screen with IE11 or, preferably, the Chrome browser, could they please:

a) go to their Y-DNA Match page (eg Y-67), click on a match name to bring up the pop-up Profile for that person, and then see if they can scroll that profile up and down the screen using either their touch-pad or the slider on the scroll bar to the right of the screen.

b) go to the Match page for one of their other tests, like FF, mtDNA or BigY, and repeat the actions described above in para a).

Any responses gratefully received, thanks.

~

PS: They rather unhelpfully suggested that I could 'fix' the problem by Zooming out. This is just the workaround that I suggested earlier in this thread. It is not a fix.
I have a 15" HP Windows 10 current version of Chrome.
A. I have the problem you have described. I have to zoom out to see "About Me" and "Ancestral Names". There isn't a inter scroll bar to move the profile.

B1. Looking at Family Finder matches I see two scroll bars on the right hand side of the page. The left bar moves the profile. The right bar moves the match list. I am at 100% zoom.

B2. Looking at mtDNA matches. There is only one scroll bar. It moves both the profile and the match list. Still at 100% zoom.
Old 29th November 2017, 04:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
T
I hadn't realised that screen resolution might be a factor, but I think that's only a secondary thing. For the record I'm using a 15-inch screen with the recommended 1366x768 screen res.
My resolution is 1920*1080 then no problem at, all since the scroll bar is not present because it's not needed (unless I make the web browser smaller of course). This is the resolution I assume the developer at FTDNA uses as well.
1368*768 problem do occur, since a scroll bar is needed.
Old 30th November 2017, 09:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks Jim and JMA for your responses. I'll reply to FTDNA's Customer Care to confirm that others are experiencing the same Profile pop-up characteristics. Or 'feature'. (Ahem)
Old 29th January 2018, 10:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Just to note that the problem, of Profile pop-ups not scrolling, has now emerged on the mtDNA results pages, where I believe it worked correctly until recently.

Pop-up scrolling still works properly on FF and BigY so I see no reason why it can't be fixed for Y-STR and mtDNA. I would hope that it's simply some parameter that needs tweaking.

I reported this when it stopped working for Y-STR results. Still waiting for that to be fixed.