Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 13th August 2017, 02:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

STR reporting from BIGY

Hi, I notice if I upload my BigY results to YFull for analysis, they report on 500 STRs, but FTDNA does not seem to report these results.
As the information is clearly in the data, why do I have to do a Y111 test if I want to search YDNA matches at that level, when those STRs are already tested in the BigY data. Or am I missing something here?
Old 14th August 2017, 04:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

Some people just do a y-12, order Big Y, request the BAM, upload to yfull & then get access to all of those other str marker reads.

If you do this, you will get the numbers, but unless you get these markers from Family Tree DNA & have them in the database, they will have no matching value or TIP value.

Timothy Peterman
Old 14th August 2017, 06:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
Hi, I notice if I upload my BigY results to YFull for analysis, they report on 500 STRs, but FTDNA does not seem to report these results.
As the information is clearly in the data, why do I have to do a Y111 test if I want to search YDNA matches at that level, when those STRs are already tested in the BigY data. Or am I missing something here?
Same question here.
I wonder if that's a technical issue or marketing technique?

I'm still waiting for my BigY results. Thus, I don't know what I will have in terms of raw marker results in BigY pack. And Yfull is another question mark. If as a result of Yfull a list of markers with relevant values,
Should I prepare huge excel files copied from the Projects??
Old 14th August 2017, 10:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Do I recall some past discussion about how often YFull (using Big Y BAM file) and FTDNA (using direct STR testing) disagree on the scoring of particular STR's? I don't remember what the conclusion was.

YFull does report how well your STRs match with other customers in its own database. However, I think the YFull haplotree is far more important, because it places you far more precisely in the haplotree than STR scoring ever could.
Old 14th August 2017, 11:01 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
Do I recall some past discussion about how often YFull (using Big Y BAM file) and FTDNA (using direct STR testing) disagree on the scoring of particular STR's? I don't remember what the conclusion was.
You're correct. I don't know the details, but there are cases where FTDNA and YFull counts for specific markers may disagree. This is probably one reason why FTDNA does not use the STR results from Big Y tests for matching purposes.

I think this is related to the testing technology. FTDNA uses standard Sanger sequencing for getting STR results. Since Big Y is a Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) test, a different technology is involved. One problem with NGS testing being used for STR results is that the current read length is not long enough to accurately get results for STRs with a large number of repeats. Perhaps when NGS testing is able to use longer read lengths, that will cease to be a problem.
Old 14th August 2017, 12:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

MMaddi wrote " One problem with NGS testing being used for STR results is that the current read length is not long enough to accurately get results for STRs with a large number of repeats. Perhaps when NGS testing is able to use longer read lengths, that will cease to be a problem. "

I agree with that I have looked at my BAM file in detail
and extracting an STR is a non trivial process.
The fact that YFull gets as many right as they do is
a (good) surprise to me.
It is more than a problem of just how to score an STR
the NGS data just does not give results that are a
accurate as Sanger.
Old 28th August 2017, 11:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

I found one STR value (DYS388) that FTDNA had at 12 and YFull placed at 13. I am reasonably certain that FTDNA has it right based on comparison with all my Y and Big Y matches.

Also several STRs from my Y-111 test had no value shown on YFull or were shown with a gray background, which I suspect means low confidence. Basically they are different tests and both are useful.