Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced Users can talk about SNP based tests such as single SNP testing by Sanger sequencing, Geno 2.0 chip based testing, and next-generation sequencing tests like BIG Y.

Old 18th August 2017, 05:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Big Y SNP question

What relevance is a big Y test with 12 shared novel variations and 1 variation that is not shared with any?
Attached Images
File Type: gif PF3304.GIF (21.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 18th August 2017, 06:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

The non-matching SNP can be ignored. The algorithm that looks for matching and mismatched SNPs has bugs. You need an expert to look at your VCF or BAM files. Have you contacted your haplogroup admin or have you sent your BAM file to www.yfull.com ? Are you in a subclade of P312?
Old 18th August 2017, 07:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
The non-matching SNP can be ignored. The algorithm that looks for matching and mismatched SNPs has bugs. You need an expert to look at your VCF or BAM files. Have you contacted your haplogroup admin or have you sent your BAM file to www.yfull.com ? Are you in a subclade of P312?
Yes I have had my (Dad's) BAM file sent to yfull but I am not in a subclade of P312, and someone has looked at the BAM file, no comments from them. It was a very confusing origins report... no German at all... and we know the family there... must be an NPE from Sweden...

Thanks for the reply, will check into the P312
Old 18th August 2017, 09:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
Yes I have had my (Dad's) BAM file sent to yfull but I am not in a subclade of P312, and someone has looked at the BAM file, no comments from them. It was a very confusing origins report... no German at all... and we know the family there... must be an NPE from Sweden...

Thanks for the reply, will check into the P312
There is no reason to check into P312 if you aren't in a subclade of P312. The only reason that I had asked is because there is a person that analyzes VCF files for P312 people. I apologize for the confusion.

Have you contacted your matches to see if they have also sent their BAM files to YFull? That would allow YFull to name shared SNPs that haven't been named and provide a TMRCA with your matches.

Do you mean myOrigins when you refer to a very confusing origins report? Autosomal DNA calculators have a very hard time identifying German DNA no matter which company is used. Also if the German ancestry is several generations back then it can get diluted due to non-German ancestry.