• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teya
    FTDNA Customer
    • Nov 2017

What's next???

I'm interested in the National Geographic genome project. I did the family finder test and have been unable to get any of the information I was interested in. I am trying to get my paternal DNA info. I got some information from my test on origins but apparently I can't get any further information because I don't have a male relative from the paternal line to test.
    I have sent a family finder test to my mother and as soon as I get the results I will subtract her profile from mine and hopefully get my paternal profile.
    I have joined the English Ydna project hoping to get information as I believe the DNA that I see on the map is paternal and all seems to be concentrated in England. I was surprised by this as I was told my paternal ancestry was Norwegian.
    I have contacted several administrators at that site. They only work with Ydna and are unable to help.
    Is there anyone out here in DNA land who can just answer a few questions without the inevitable avalanche of numbers, letters and terminology I don't understand?
    I am so tired of asking the same questions.
    Thanks in advance for your patience!
    Teya
  • ychrom77
    FTDNA Customer
    • Nov 2017

Paternal Info

I am a newbie too like you but I think you could isolate your paternal side by finding male cousin matches. Just a hunch.
    If you didn't already, you might want to upload your family finder results to gedmatch.com for free. You might find some matches that you don't know about yet. It would also help if you uploaded a gedcom file.

Jim

Comment

• KATM
      mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
      • Nov 2012

You're trying to find information about your father's side, and can't use Y-DNA tests because you have no male relatives from his side (and apparently your father is not living or not around). If you are sure that your father had no brothers, or male cousins descended from brothers that his father may have had, and you don't know of any further degree cousins (3rd, 4th) that are in your father's male line, then there are no such relatives who could do Y-DNA tests (as far as you know right now).

Your Family Finder test at FTDNA tests your autosomal DNA, which you got from both your mother and father. Your match list will show cousins of various degrees from both sides. Some of your paternal cousins may have tested with Family Finder, and be matches to you.

It's a very good plan to have your mother do the Family Finder test. You will be able to use her results to sort your matches. See "Family Finder - Family Matching Tool" and "Family Finder - Family Matching System" in the FTDNA Learning Center, if you haven't done so already. In your account, you should make a basic tree (or upload a .ged file if you have genealogy software and can make one). Once your mother's results come in, link her to her place in the tree. You will then have some of your matches showing in the "maternal" tab in your account. The matches who do not show as maternal matches (shown by a pink female icon under the match's name), may or may not be on your father's side, but at least it weeds out some of your maternal relatives. If you know surnames and locations for your father's family and ancestors, you should add those (and those for your mother) to your profile in your account settings. Knowing and sharing those names and locations will help you when looking at your match's trees and profiles, and they look at yours.

For your Family Finder results at FTDNA, are you saying that in your myOrigins, it is showing a large percentage of British Isles in your Ethnic Makeup? Did you get any percentage of Scandinavia? What is your mother's known ancestry? As Jim suggested, you can download your raw data file, and upload it to GEDmatch.com (after registering there). Then you can use their bioethnicity calculators to see if you get a different prediction.

When you say "I believe the DNA that I see on the map is paternal and all seems to be concentrated in England," are you talking about your myOrigins map, and the "blobs" or clusters shown for the various populations? The myOrigins map does not differentiate between maternal and paternal, so do you know that your mother has no British Isles ancestry, or that one of your father's parents didn't have some?

National Geographic's "Geno 2.0 Next Generation," is their current test. It is processed in a lab by the Helix company. If you do that test, it will analyze your autosomal DNA to give you an idea of your ethnicity makeup. It would be less expensive to see other estimates of your ethnicities at GEDmatch, which is free. Also, there is no atDNA matching at National Geographic. Geno 2.0 NG will also give you a certain level of your mtDNA haplogroup. It is not as detailed as what an mtDNA test at Family Tree DNA will give you, and you seem to want to find out more about your paternal side, anyway.
      Last edited by KATM; 30 November 2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X