Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Surname Project Administration

Old 8th August 2017, 01:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

People who join dozens of projects - fishing?

I've just removed someone from my surname project who has no demonstrable connection to that surname. They appeared to have joined around 50 different projects, many of them Y-DNA ones (this was a female, with the only test showing being an autosomal transfer that hadn't even been unlocked to use the chromosome browser on). Is this joining of a huge number of apparently unrelated projects acceptable? (the reason given for joining my surname project was to substantiate her father's connection to an ancient king of Ireland)? I'm hoping they aren't trying to harvest results for some other purpose.
Old 8th August 2017, 06:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

I believe only project admins have access to private kit data and member personal information, so I don't think you gain access to any private info by joining a project.
Old 29th August 2017, 09:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

People will sometimes join any project tied to any surname in their family tree not just the paternal line. You could say anyone that joins a project is trying to fish for information about themselves and their ancestors. Given that the primary focus of many projects tends to be Y-DNA, new members don't realize this or do not see the difference just yet.
Old 30th August 2017, 08:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Correcting my prior post, project members DO get access to info that is not viewable by the general public. FTDNA settings allow you to elect to either make your DNA results publicly available on project sites (which most people do) or only available to project members. Therefore if you want to see all the kit results for a project, you need to become a member.

Even if your surname does not match that of a project, you may have a legitimate interest in all your ancestral male lines, and thus in being able to see all the kits results for those surname projects. It is therefore not unreasonable for someone to want to join dozens of different surname projects.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Agreed. There are exceptions of course. I once had a person join a surname project who not only didn't have the surname but could no way have it as an ancestral surname either.

I surmised that he joined because the surname started with the same letter as his haplogroup assignment. It became obvious when a bulk of the projects he joined started with the same letter. I didn't kick him out but I tried to open communications with him. He did not know English too well so it was futile. He eventually left on his own.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have joined one project, Evans, even though that is not my paternal line. I have an eighth great grandfather, Richard Eivens, who came through or was born in Barbados in the mid-1600s. He settled in the Perquimans Precinct in North Carolina circa 1670 and disappeared. About the same time a Richard Evans settled in Maryland. I am the only researcher who has made a circumstantial case that the two are the same. The later Richard has good Y-DNA lines. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a paternal line anywhere to the earlier Richard. I would be nice if one showed up.

Y-DNA Projects need to have a category for "autosomal only - no paternal line" to avoid confusion.

Jack Wyatt
Old 31st August 2017, 05:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Avoid Confusion???

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
Y-DNA Projects need to have a category for "autosomal only - no paternal line" to avoid confusion. Jack Wyatt
No Paternal Line I find that very confusing!
Old 31st August 2017, 05:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
No Paternal Line I find that very confusing!
What I meant was that the person is not seeking to find a paternal line in the surname project. On the Evans Project, my Y-DNA is listed even though I joined just to follow the discussion. I guess autosomal is irrelevant, because the projects do not list that data.

Jack
Old 31st August 2017, 07:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

People who join dozens of projects.....fishing.

Being a member of the Adoptive Project, FTDNA has provided me with a list of matching projects. That list has 50 projects with matches. Should I join all 50? The answer to that is no. I did sift through the projects to see how close these matches are. Many of the matches are redundant by belonging to several of the listed projects. The only verified project where I belong to date is the R1a Project and even they do not know the origin of my YDNA. I also have zero paternal matches in Family Finder.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
What I meant was that the person is not seeking to find a paternal line in the surname project. On the Evans Project, my Y-DNA is listed even though I joined just to follow the discussion. I guess autosomal is irrelevant, because the projects do not list that data. Jack
I leave people who join my projects who have an autosomal or mtDNA connection to my project surname in the "Ungrouped" section of the Y-DNA report.