Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Surname Project Administration

Old 1st September 2017, 06:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
I leave people who join my projects who have an autosomal or mtDNA connection to my project surname in the "Ungrouped" section of the Y-DNA report.
I go one step further and put them in a separate group for non-surname kits, so they aren't commingled with the ungrouped kits for people with the project surname.
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
I go one step further and put them in a separate group for non-surname kits, so they aren't commingled with the ungrouped kits for people with the project surname.
I don't leave people with the project surname ungrouped therefore I don't have that problem. People who don't have the project surname but have their best matches with members of the project are grouped with their matches having the surname. The only ungrouped people are those without the surname and without strong matches with those having the surname. If you stay current with you grouping there is no need for the additional group. If you don't stay current those people you would put in your special group would be in the ungrouped section anyway.
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Sorry, I misspoke a bit. I don't leave any ungrouped kits (assuming I am up to date). I have a group for unmatched surname kits and a group for non-surname kits. Your approach of including those (probably few) non-surname kits in the matching surname groups if there is a particular reason to think there might be a relationship, makes good sense.

Last edited by TwiddlingThumbs; 2nd September 2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
What I meant was that the person is not seeking to find a paternal line in the surname project. On the Evans Project, my Y-DNA is listed even though I joined just to follow the discussion. I guess autosomal is irrelevant, because the projects do not list that data.
I keep a separate group for such individuals who either don't have the surname or don't match someone who does. Admins also have the option to simply uncheck a box so specific members' Y-DNA results are not displayed. I guess if the group of kits in that autosomal only group became too large, that would be an option to use. For now, a special group will do.
Old 4th September 2017, 12:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Same here about relateds in YDNA Projects

I also have a "Families of Interest" group in my YDNA Project, mainly for maternal "paper" connections, but this is mainly to offer help by being able to see their results and suggest other projects.
I am leary of requests that are clearly "fishing" based on YDNA "distances."
The Project Admin has a chance to see what the requestor has joined only by allowing them in. I have a "member" on a short list of removables because the nature and number of projects that the sponsor has joined him to is scatter-shot, with no discernible pattern. Being a member of my Project makes some sense, but most of the other projects that I see the results in do not, including haplos and cultures that are totally outside of our"matching" YDNA.
I am of two minds about being "inclusive:" my existing members are interested in high non-surname matches, but at the same time, such matches need to show some research pattern behind them. Our project certainly invites specific high matches regardless of surname, on the basis that they might be us or we might be them. But we have to detect a pattern that DNA is a supportive criteria, not the only criteria, for suspecting a connection.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

We had a similar couple of situations / attempts. The first one was legitimate but only Autosomal. But he subsequently took all the YDNA test results and posted them with self-determined trees to the testers on WikiTree -- making it all public and available including names of living testers, FamilyTreeDNA ID's and their STR and Autosomal (GEDMatch) kit results. We had STR results restricted to only group members.

Since then, we have declined 4 other attempts to join by non-confirmed matches in yDNA and are not allowing autosomal-only testers anymore (and removing some we have). We also removed access to STR charts by even members. We have a number of sensitive members who trusted the admins to a certain extent. That blew the trust there. No real bad intent; just an overzealous member who "loves" the benefit of WikiTree and what it can pull together. Liken it to a kid in a candy store but with more serious consequences for others. One bad apple ...

(Note: we never had the STR results public but some Haplogroup studies some members were part of did. So a number had their STR results scraped by that rogue website that then posted emails, FTDNA Kit #'s, and STR results. This was 2-3 years ago if I recall. Also scraped ysearch which seems to have caused FTDNA to cripple that site.)
Old 28th September 2017, 12:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
I don't leave people with the project surname ungrouped therefore I don't have that problem. People who don't have the project surname but have their best matches with members of the project are grouped with their matches having the surname. The only ungrouped people are those without the surname and without strong matches with those having the surname. If you stay current with you grouping there is no need for the additional group. If you don't stay current those people you would put in your special group would be in the ungrouped section anyway.
I am sure others along with me thank you for that Jim. When you match NO ONE in your surname project and have 1500 at matches you wonder if you had a NPE and the people that you have a closer Y match with are from your DNA paternal group. This is the case for my father. Not one close match in his surname group (from Germany) but many matches from British isles. So I hope that there may be even a closer match with that one person that hasn't tested yet. Fishing maybe, but fishing with a reason.
Old 28th September 2017, 07:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurplusGadgets View Post
But he subsequently took all the YDNA test results and posted them with self-determined trees to the testers on WikiTree -- making it all public and available including names of living testers, FamilyTreeDNA ID's and their STR and Autosomal (GEDMatch) kit results.
Yikes. Did you ever contact this person to perhaps ask him to undo what he did?
Old 29th September 2017, 07:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
No real bad intent; just an overzealous member who "loves" the benefit of WikiTree and what it can pull together.)
I started using WikiTree. I stopped using WikiTree when I discovered they have people who monitor your tree and add what they thing should be added. Often the comments added contain less information than what was already there and there is no way to block these people. They do not have to be on the trusted list to make these changes.
Old 29th September 2017, 07:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
We also removed access to STR charts by even members.
Seriously? Test takers can set their privacy settings to have their results info allowed to be shared with other project members or allowed to be made public. It's not even an option for a test taker to make their results info only available to project admin. The whole reason to join a project is to be able to share your results with others and to see other's results.

Even limiting results data to project members is an unusual election for a project admin to take. I would say that less than 5% of projects do that. By far, the vast majority of projects have public results. There is a good reason for this:. the data is relevant to the genealogy of everyone who has an ancestor with that surname, so there are lots of people who can't contribute YDNA to the project who have a very legitimate interest in the results. So if the test taker is OK with his results being made public, I don't think a project admin should further restrict it. If you are going to restrict access to results to project members, then I think you should allow anyone with a valid claim to possibly being descended from someone with that surname to join the project.

Last edited by TwiddlingThumbs; 29th September 2017 at 07:27 AM.