Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 11th July 2017, 10:04 PM
FTDNA Customer
Status posted at Facebook

FTDNA posted this on their Facebook page:

SITE UPDATE: Due to a few unforeseen issues related to an update the site is currently down for maintenance. We are working on fixing the issues and hope to have everything resolved by tomorrow morning CST. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
Old 11th July 2017, 10:25 PM
FTDNA Customer
Posted on Twitter 10:22 pm Eastern time:

Family Tree DNA‏

Dear Customers: we are still working on fixing a few issues resulting from the site update last night. We appreciate your patience.
10:22 PM - 11 Jul 2017
Old 12th July 2017, 06:05 AM
FTDNA Customer
Unplanned downtime is sometimes unavoidable...

...and providing customers with information should never be avoided.

I worked for years in IT and 'suffered' through some fairly scary mornings after nighttime upgrades that should have been completed no later than the beginning of business hours didn't go well.

The first thing that I did when the sun came up was find the key people in the organization and tell them what I thought they should expect. Then I went back to fixing the problem. If it took longer that a little while I gave the key people updates and they shared them with all employees. That is the way this business is supposed to work.

These days I've noticed that businesses often say nothing and later they never explain. I believe that runs the risk of damaging confidence. I know mine is a bit fractured this morning with FTDNA.
Old 12th July 2017, 09:36 AM
FTDNA Customer
Corporate outages are indeed scary for the staff who are expected to fix them! I suffered for years with the responsibility for a system that tended to fail in the middle of the night, and I would have to go to the office in the wee hours to fix whatever program had failed. Eventually, I got the encouragement I needed to develop a nearly fool-proof test plan, such that every program change was tested and verified behind the scenes with real data before being migrated into production. Sound development, test, migration, back-out, and recovery procedures make for relaxed, productive employees, and they also protect the business and its reputation. There's no reason genetics and/or genealogy companies can't do this as well.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:20 PM
FTDNA Customer
New matches?

Very curious...I have new matches, 50 cM and up... not a complaint by any means, but wondering if any else has noticed they have new matches, or at least different matching levels.