• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterebay
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2003

Extra Mutations not shown in RSRS differences

John and his brother Paul both have full sequence mtDNA results. John has 6 Extra Mutations and they are also listed in his differences from the RSRS. Paul matches his brother John on all of John's differences from the RSRS (and on all of John's Extra Mutations). However Paul also has 3 additional Extra Mutations listed: (C146T, C152T, and C16189T). That is to say Paul has 9 Extra Mutations and 6 are list in his differences from the RSRS and the 3 additional Extra Mutations are not listed in Paul's differences from the RSRS.

Is this a clerical error or something else? Family Finder tests on both show they share 2474 cM with each other and which confirms they are brothers.

Thanks and sincerely, Peter

Peter J. Roberts
  • GST
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by peterebay View Post
    John and his brother Paul both have full sequence mtDNA results. John has 6 Extra Mutations and they are also listed in his differences from the RSRS. Paul matches his brother John on all of John's differences from the RSRS (and on all of John's Extra Mutations). However Paul also has 3 additional Extra Mutations listed: (C146T, C152T, and C16189T). That is to say Paul has 9 Extra Mutations and 6 are list in his differences from the RSRS and the 3 additional Extra Mutations are not listed in Paul's differences from the RSRS.

Is this a clerical error or something else? Family Finder tests on both show they share 2474 cM with each other and which confirms they are brothers.

Peter J. Roberts
    http://www.wikitree.com/treewidget/Roberts-7085/5
    Another person reported the same 3 mutations as differences in a mother and son, and it appears to be an error in the analysis of the results. I recommend submitting a bug report to FTDNA.

Comment

• Armando
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by peterebay View Post

Peter J. Roberts
      http://www.wikitree.com/treewidget/Roberts-7085/5
      When there are differences like that between people that are known to be closely related normally the list of Extra Mutations directly below the RSRS Values tab for one kit will have more than what the other kit has but when you look at all of the mutations under HVR1 DIFFERENCES FROM RSRS and HVR2 DIFFERENCES FROM RSRS and CODING REGION DIFFERENCES FROM RSRS then you will see the exact same number of mutations in both kits. A simple way of finding that out is do a CTRL-F of C146T in both kits. Paul, the one with 9 Extra Mutations will have it listed twice (just like all Extra Mutations should be) and the John, one with 6 Extra Mutations, will only have C146T listed once under HVR2 DIFFERENCES FROM RSRS. The same thing with C152T. C16189T is under HVR1 DIFFERENCES FROM RSRS.

If you upload the results of each kit to http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/ you will see that they are not extra mutations and they are not used to define the haplogroup. So Paul should only have 6 extra mutations like John.

As GST stated, you should submit a bug report to FTDNA. A lot of people are affected by the same bug. I have seen more of them than what has been reported.

Comment

• penguin
        FTDNA Customer
        • Nov 2004

When i first started reading this, i thought I was reading an SAT test question of the future...Didn't end though with something like "how many snps do John and Paul have in common"

Comment

• Armando
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by penguin View Post
          When i first started reading this, i thought I was reading an SAT test question of the future...Didn't end though with something like "how many snps do John and Paul have in common"
          What?

Comment

• LPeer
            FTDNA Customer
            • Mar 2015

I was following you Penguin. Thought the same thing.

Comment

Working...
            X