You know you're thinking about DNA too much when. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

You know you're thinking about DNA too much when. . .

. . . it shows up in your dreams!

Just before awakening this morning, I had a short dream sequence (part of a longer, forgotten one). In this sequence, I was attending a presentation by an anonymous woman genetic genealogist, to a small group. She was presenting five or six letter-sized pieces of paper, which were all taped in a circle to a screen or board. Each paper had a number on it, of which the only one I can almost recall was "7105" or similar, with no haplogroup or other prefix.

I couldn't quite read the numbers from where I was sitting, so leaned in. I asked, "Are these haplogroups?" (by which I meant Y-subclades, actually). The presenter turned and said, "Yes, they are. And Bob and Jim are R3!" "Bob" seemed to be someone she knew (of which the audience was aware), and "Jim" was someone the audience knew.

Amazed and astounded, all I could say was "R3?!?" and at that point the dream ended and I woke up.
    Last edited by KATM; 28 November 2016, 03:09 PM.
  • keigh
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2013

Heck, DNA has begun to show up in my nightmares. I woke up the other night going "No, No, No" I'd had a bad dream in which my mother's family lines crossed my father's and a doctor was saying that to correct the mess in my family tree that they'd have to operate, so the "NO,NO,NO response.

Comment

• KATM
      • Nov 2012

keigh, your insurance probably wouldn't cover that procedure!

Vivid dreams certainly can be interesting, can't they!

Comment

• MoberlyDrake
        mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
        • May 2010

I dream about DNA ever so often, but it's never interesting. Just going through results, often in ways that aren't possible though.

Comment

• Lastsister
          FTDNA Customer
          • Sep 2014

DNA dread Not dreams

I have been trying to find information on my link to Ukraine. Grandmother was old when I was growing up and was illiterate, mother was born in the USA and didn't know too much about family or even the correct name. I have been at this for over 10 years now and still can't find any information to fill in the gaps. I am not going to buy another test to find nothing again.

Comment

• georgian1950
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Lastsister View Post
            I have been trying to find information on my link to Ukraine. Grandmother was old when I was growing up and was illiterate, mother was born in the USA and didn't know too much about family or even the correct name. I have been at this for over 10 years now and still can't find any information to fill in the gaps. I am not going to buy another test to find nothing again.
            Which tests have you had done thus far?

Jack

Comment

• Intevel
              FTDNA Customer
              • Mar 2018

I don't know if I'm thinking about DNA, but I'm thinking about lineage. Last night I had a dream that I saw someone shoot someone. And I didn't want to be a part of it even though the shooter was the good guy. I ran down several blocks of grass and open hills with trees and I passed by all my different family trees and collected paper with info. Each tree had paper which represented a different ancestor.

Then I found a real old restaurant and told them to call the cops while I was in the bathroom. I could sense that the gunman was coming closer to finding me in the restaurant. I could sense him getting closer and closer and I woke up sweating with a tight chest.

I guess he really wanted the papers I collected at each tree.

Comment

• mari
                FTDNA Customer
                • Mar 2006

I just had to post on this one. I keep having the dream of an old frail, yet stern woman with her silver-white hair in a top bun. That looks like she has been outside a long time in the wind. Any way, she's pointing her finger at me telling me to stop looking, that I am making people angry. She is so stern and that finger wags right in my face. Then she starts yelling at me in a language I don't understand. Honestly, if I ever met this woman in real life, she's the kind of soul you would have to listen to, and do what this mighty mite says or else! lol I would like to know who she is.

Comment

• Miamio
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jan 2018

In my dreams and thinking about all my estranged cousins and their descendants who might have info(doubt it) or wonder about family DNA at all.Since I was the eldest,I remember a lot of elders they might not. Two generations never heard my gm sing,or eat her food.Its sad in a way.I envy close knit families who share many things.

Comment

• keigh
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Sep 2013

I had another DNA nightmare. After counting my cousin matches at Ancestry, the number 66,652 came up. Something about 666 struck me, and guess who popped up in my dream claiming to be a match! What the heck do you do with 66,652 cousins? I know I'm not inviting them all to a family reunion. Especially since I'm sure the horned guy with a tail would show up.

Comment

• KATM
                      • Nov 2012

Some interesting dream plots have been posted here! Thanks to all for sharing.

Comment

• Holtis
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by keigh View Post
                        I had another DNA nightmare. After counting my cousin matches at Ancestry, the number 66,652 came up. Something about 666 struck me, and guess who popped up in my dream claiming to be a match! What the heck do you do with 66,652 cousins? I know I'm not inviting them all to a family reunion. Especially since I'm sure the horned guy with a tail would show up.
                        You'd need a stadium to accomodate that kind of a reunion lol. The nightmare bit doesn't sound very amusing though. I feel for you there.

Comment

• Carpathian
                          • Jan 2017

We know we are engaged with life when what happens or has happened in our lives appears in our nightly dreams - whether our past be that of what happened long ago or just recently, such as what occurred during the day before sleep.

Some people can't remember their dreams, although anyone can if they want to - but only if they make the effort to do it. The same applies to genealogy and our efforts toward understanding the past.

Comment

• keigh
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Sep 2013

Well, I don't have to worry now about 666 turning up in my dreams about Ancestry matches. I'm now up to 68,785 and that number doesn't mean anything to me.

But my most recent dream was about doing my cat's DNA and having some molecular paleontologist match him up with a saber tooth tiger. My thought is that my Little Sir Fangs A Lot had tried to bite me during the day, and I got a good look at his fangs. Also I'd been reading about cloning certain extinct animals, the saber tooth tiger being one of them. mish mashed together and I dream of DNA.

Comment

• Fern
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Mar 2017

... when you don't have a scientific background but you're beginning to understand meiosis

Comment

Working...
                              X