• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yankel
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2017

Auto Immune Diseases and DNA testing

I have just tested positive to HLR B27 (an auto immune disease group)and am wondering if it would be possible to see if my father's DNA has this gene. )He is no longer alive.) I may be asking a silly question but would like to know if I inherited it from him. Thanks.
  • keigh
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2013

Since FTDNA tests are done using cheek swabs, your father's DNA can't be tested here. There might be testing labs that could do a genetic test (probably quite a bit more expensive than the Family Finder test), but you'd need some sort of DNA sample from your deceased father.

Comment

• Methos23527
      FTDNA Customer
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Yankel View Post
      I have just tested positive to HLR B27 (an auto immune disease group)and am wondering if it would be possible to see if my father's DNA has this gene. )He is no longer alive.) I may be asking a silly question but would like to know if I inherited it from him. Thanks.
      Yes Yankel I am also trying to do this through My DNA and my Dad's DNA. He Had Severe R.A. and I have quite Severe Blepharitis with a High MMP-9 Level in my Tear Film. Plus I have Mixed Connective Tissue issues.

Comment

• mollyblum
        FTDNA Customer
        • Mar 2012

I really don’t think you are going to get any good answers without his dna and without actual whole genome testing which costs approximately $5-10K and in which most insurances do not cover. The companies that do them will offer you a grant based upon income if you have no money but they need to be ordered by a geneticist and for a medical reason. Curiosity doesn’t count.

I just had whole exome (WES) testing on my DNA from a geneticist bc I was found to have a genetic disease and he was looking for other possible diseases. I had also uploaded to Promeathease and compared the results. Don’t trust those results. They said I was negative for things I have biopsies and medical diagnoses that are positive for and vice versa. In addition, I supposedly have red, straight hair and blue eyes. I have extremely kinky curly hair, dark green eyes and brown ash blonde hair. It also said had a short stature gene. I am 5’9 and am a woman and my family is extremely tall.

So.... really - if you want to get accurate results see a geneticist. But I don’t know what the point would be other than maybe the fear of passing it on? They could talk to you about that. A Rheumatologist could talk to you about RA or mixed connective tissue dx and it’s inheritance patterns. Or again they could send you to a geneticist but if you have been diagnosed it’s unlikely. RA is genetic but could also be from a mutation. You would most likely know if people in your family had RA.

Comment

• Methos23527
          FTDNA Customer
          • Oct 2017

Autoimmune Pathogenicity.

Actually FGS is about $1500 now. I should have got my Dad a FTDNA FF Test in 2012 or 2013. As well I should have Got him an RNA Stable & DNA Stable Kits from Sigma-Aldrich. Don't Fret though I am stuck in this Quandary and Wishing I had done this. There is a DNA Blood Card from his only Brother's Autopsy. And I have personal effects around here that should surely contain his DNA. Remember they are Sequencing Ancient DNA from 100 and 200,000 Thousand Years ago. You should have some Private Effects of your Dad that should contain his DNA.

I am going to try to Piece together my Dad's Genome and I want to see if He had HLA-B56.

Best,

Marc

Comment

• mollyblum
            FTDNA Customer
            • Mar 2012

The genetic testing I had done through my doc which was Whole Exome Sequencing was $5-10k. And they did it through blood work not saliva or hair. They tested my entire genome but they had to know what diseases they were looking for bc they go over areas in your genetic sequence that relates to those issues. I had to have a genetic counselor go over my entire medical history and family history which was problematic as my father was adopted.

But good luck to you!! Maybe you can find another company to do it w hair or something else.

Comment

• rproto
              FTDNA Customer
              • May 2017

On one of the Rootstech presentations yesterday there was a company called "Living DNA" that reconstructed DNA found on a postage stamp to help an adoptee.

Comment

• Methos23527
                FTDNA Customer
                • Oct 2017

Living DNA

Originally posted by rproto View Post
                On one of the Rootstech presentations yesterday there was a company called "Living DNA" that reconstructed DNA found on a postage stamp to help an adoptee.
                THANKS SO Much Friend. Made my Day to read that.

With Kind Regards,

Marc

Comment

• AmbroseT
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by rproto View Post
                  That's seriously impressive. Gotta love technology eh? I wish both of you luck with tha DNA tests, Yankel and Methos.

Comment

Working...
                  X