• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peeceful
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2005

Ethiopian Ancestry

Hello Everyone!

I have just found my GGGgrandfather with surname Gibson. His nephew filed a 1917 draft registration under race stating mother is Ethiopian. Have anyone seen anything where the race is documented in this way?
    My Haplogroup is L3* also.

Diane
  • Sonia
    • Dec 2004

WWI Draft Registration Cards

Originally posted by peeceful
    Hello Everyone!

I have just found my GGGgrandfather with surname Gibson. His nephew filed a 1917 draft registration under race stating mother is Ethiopian. Have anyone seen anything where the race is documented in this way?
    My Haplogroup is L3* also.

Diane
    Hi Diane,

If no one knows here, try www.afrigeneas.com. There is also a mailing list and I'm sure someone might have an idea if they've seen race noted that way. For the ones I've seen the notation was Negro orAfrican.

Comment

• cacio
      • Jan 2006

peeceful:

this is interesting. As you probably know, both historical and genetic analysis has shown that Ethiopia was not a relevant place of origin for African-American, the majority being from Western or Central Africa. So one wonders the reason for such a choice.

cacio

Comment

• Pleroma
        • Jul 2006

I was reading something yesterday and it made me remember this post.

During the American Revolution Lord John Dunmore the Royal Governor of Virginia offered the African men who were being held by rebel slavers, freedom if they fought for the British. Several hundred men joined and the militia became known as "Dunmore's Ethiopians."

Is it possible that the choice of "Ethiopian" made on this draft registration could have its connection to this historical event?

Comment

Working...
        X