• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russell
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2014

results expected

I am expecting my half sisters results soon (family finder) Will I (we) be able to tell if she is a half sister or full sister by these results?
    What do I look for?
    Thank you...
  • dna
    FTDNA Customer
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I am expecting my half sisters results soon (family finder) Will I (we) be able to tell if she is a half sister or full sister by these results?
    What do I look for?
    Thank you...
    Good question!

I had thought that it was a clear-cut answer, but the Family Tree DNA Learning Center says otherwise (the FAQ title does not reveal that, but the example given is for a half-sibling). Maybe someone could offer an explanation?
    Can Family Finder tell the difference between a sibling and a cousin?

W.

Comment

• Russell
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2014

Good Question>Good answer

Originally posted by dna View Post
      Good question!

I had thought that it was a clear-cut answer, but the Family Tree DNA Learning Center says otherwise (the FAQ title does not reveal that, but the example given is for a half-sibling). Maybe someone could offer an explanation?
      Can Family Finder tell the difference between a sibling and a cousin?

W.
      Well I first thought it would be simple too,but the more I read the more confused I get.

Comment

• phje
        FTDNA Customer
        • Sep 2012

You may find this helpful.

Comment

• Russell
          FTDNA Customer
          • Apr 2014

Reading now.
          Wish I had her results

Comment

• prairielad
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2011

FTDNA will give relationship range on your match page.

To see Suggested Relationship download you matchlist .csv

For instance, attached is a picture representing My Grandmothers, my Father's, 2 paternal Uncles, paternal Aunts and the paternal 1st cousins .csv file showing what relationship is listed on matchlist (Relationship range) and the narrowed down Suggested Relationship.

Not all Suggested Relationships are correct, but the majority have narrowed it down correctly
            Attached Files
            Last edited by prairielad; 7 February 2015, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• Russell
              FTDNA Customer
              • Apr 2014

Thank you for the information. I will wait now and see just what the results show before I post again...thank you

Comment

• keigh
                FTDNA Customer
                • Sep 2013

I had my brother tested and his results came back with the relationship listed as parent/child or full sibling. We had a chuckle over the parent/child since we're only 7 years apart, so we went with full sibling.

The test labeling of relationships is based on the amount of DNA you share with a person. A half sibling would have less shared DNA since the DNA shared would only becoming from one parent. And siblings don't get the exact DNA from a parent that another sibling would. Full siblings would share in the area of about 50% DNA. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, 1/2 siblings and double first cousins are all in the same range of sharing about 25% DNA.

Comment

Working...
                X