Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 16th June 2017, 09:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Paternal relatives NOT marked in my account & ICW feature inconsistencies

Two questions/problems:

1. Some paternal relatives are NOT marked with the blue paternal icon in my account. I know they are paternal, because I have access to his account, and they are present there.

2. ICW feature appears to be inconsistent.

Issue #1
My father and I both were tested with FTDNA.

I was just looking at my closest match, and clicked to view our "in common with" cousins. I have viewed this match from my father's account, and the "ICW" cousins from his account many times.

However, now from my account, I notice several cousins NOT identified as my paternal cousins, yet I know I had seen them on my father's match list in his account. I double checked and am correct, I noted several of his matches (in his account) are NOT marked with the blue paternal icon identifying them as paternal relatives on MY account, yet I know they are.

Do the unmarked paternal cousins not meet some cM or longest block threshold to warrant the blue paternal icon in my account? Do you have to have the other parent tested for every cousin to be categorized as paternal or maternal, or will there still be cousins with no maternal/paternal icon after doing this because they don't meet the threshold?

My parents have completely different ethnic/geographical backgrounds so I do not believe this could be an issue of relatives being on both maternal and paternal sides.

Issue #2

I noticed that frequently if I click "ICW" for a cousin, no matches will come up. Yet I have seen those cousins in other "ICW" lists. I then have to hunt down certain matches to find the proper ICW connections. Again, is this a threshold issue? I don't understand why it would not be reciprocal. You would have to go through a million matrices or ICW lists to make the connections.

I also noticed that you can receive different "ICW" lists such as the one that you receive if you click on a cousin from the main match page, versus clicking on that same person from another ICW list.

I tried to explain as clearly as possible but can come up with more specific examples. Hopefully someone can explain. Thanks.
Old 16th June 2017, 02:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Regarding Issue 2.

I can think of a couple of possibilities. First in your match list, if you used a word in the search box to find the target. The proper approach, is to then click the check box, clear the search box, and then apply ICW. If you don't clear the search box, you will apply a double filter restricting the ICW list.

If you still see a problem after doing the right procedure, then the problem lies with the missing ICW people. They have changed the default settings in their account. That means they have a high enough setting to match your father, but not you. Personally, I don't think people should change the defaults, but some do.
Old 16th June 2017, 06:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genresearch View Post
Two questions/problems:

1. Some paternal relatives are NOT marked with the blue paternal icon in my account. I know they are paternal, because I have access to his account, and they are present there.

Thanks.
Whos account, your fathers?

If so, Do you have your father linked to your tree (linked, not just listed)
Maternal/paternal tabs are populated based on linked matches and shared segments over 9cM.
It is not based on In Common with lists alone. It looks at your actual Raw DAta values and phases shared segments. If a match shares a segment over 9cM, and they match a segment of DNA that has been phased and identified as maternal or paternal, they will then be placed in appropriate maternal/paternal or both tabs.

Last edited by prairielad; 16th June 2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 16th June 2017, 06:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Two questions/problems:

Issue #1
My father and I both were tested with FTDNA.

I was just looking at my closest match, and clicked to view our "in common with" cousins. I have viewed this match from my father's account, and the "ICW" cousins from his account many times.

However, now from my account, I notice several cousins NOT identified as my paternal cousins, yet I know I had seen them on my father's match list in his account. I double checked and am correct, I noted several of his matches (in his account) are NOT marked with the blue paternal icon identifying them as paternal relatives on MY account, yet I know they are.

Do the unmarked paternal cousins not meet some cM or longest block threshold to warrant the blue paternal icon in my account?
Yes, I think there is some shared segment threshold with you for them to be assigned as paternal matches. And possibly of your grandparnets could test they might not meet this threshold for your father to even assign them as maternal or paternal. Are they fairly distant matches?
Old 16th June 2017, 07:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:

Issue #2

I noticed that frequently if I click "ICW" for a cousin, no matches will come up. Yet I have seen those cousins in other "ICW" lists. I then have to hunt down certain matches to find the proper ICW connections. Again, is this a threshold issue? I don't understand why it would not be reciprocal. You would have to go through a million matrices or ICW lists to make the connections.

I also noticed that you can receive different "ICW" lists such as the one that you receive if you click on a cousin from the main match page, versus clicking on that same person from another ICW list.

I tried to explain as clearly as possible but can come up with more specific examples. Hopefully someone can explain. Thanks.
I think I understand your question. Say you are interested in a match with the surname Norris, but they're not on your first page of matches. You type Norris in the search box and find them. You tick the bex next to them and then chose "ICW". All that will come up is people in your match list who match cousin Norris plus mutual matches who have the name Norris or have Norris in their list of surnames.

You will pull up your mutual matches with your Norris cousin if after you tick the box next to their name you clear Norris from the search box and THEN click ICW.