• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mb79
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2016

mtFull test - Haplogroup states only "H"

The mtFull sequence test results for my father are in.
    The mtDNA haplogroup states for him only "H" - no further letters or numbers.
    When I had my mother's mtFull test done, then she had a haplogroup description of four digits.

So why does my father get only "H"?
    Are there extremely rare mutations in his mother's mitochondrial DNA, wherefore it is not possible to put him in any of the existing subclades?
  • keigh
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2013

Perhaps he doesn't have enough rare or different mutations from the original H haplogroup founding ancestor to be place up or down the line. He might just be way back on the H branch.

Comment

• lgmayka
      FTDNA Customer
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mb79 View Post
      Are there extremely rare mutations in his mother's mitochondrial DNA, wherefore it is not possible to put him in any of the existing subclades?
      The current phylogenetic tree for mtDNA has 106 direct subclades of H (from H1 through H106). Each subclade was added to the tree only upon the official cataloguing of two examples. In all likelihood, then, at least another 100 such subclades exist for which only one example has been catalogued so far, and yet another 100 subclades for which no examples have been officially catalogued.

The logical conclusion is that mtDNA H has undergone a rather recent rapid expansion.

Comment

• Vera Moore
        FTDNA Customer
        • Mar 2018

In same boat

I'm in the same boat with you....just"H". As far as the paper trail my matrilineal line goes back to Germany. I'm not sure if testing my mother now will make a difference or will she get the same results? My grandmother is no longer with us

Comment

• GST
          FTDNA Customer
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Vera Moore View Post
          I'm in the same boat with you....just"H". As far as the paper trail my matrilineal line goes back to Germany. I'm not sure if testing my mother now will make a difference or will she get the same results? My grandmother is no longer with us
          There is no benefit to testing your mother, her results will very likely be identical to yours. Multiple non-identical samples are needed to add a new subclade to the mtDNA tree, so multiple samples from related family members does not help in adding new subclades.

Comment

• nunofreiresilva
            FTDNA Customer
            • Aug 2017

Hello,

I didn't test my mtDNA here at FTDNA but i tested HVR1 and HVR2. I was put on R0, and that's it. My mutations are 16519C, 263G and 315.1C. I checked on ibermitobase website and i might be something like R0 or H*. Any thaughts on this one? Thanks. Nuno .

Comment

• Stan Clayton
              FTDNA Customer
              • Aug 2019

Hello Nuno,

If 16519C, 263G and 315.1C are your only mutations then you are a perfect match for mtDNA Haplogroup H2a2a, per the James Lick calculator. Here is a screen grab:

nuno.png

From the PhyloTree.org download, "The mutations 309.1C(C), 315.1C, AC indels at 515-522, 16182C, 16183C, 16193.1C(C) and 16519 were not considered for phylogenetic reconstruction and are therefore excluded from the tree." So the only mutation you have that is used to assign your mtDNA Haplogroup is 263G, which makes you a perfect match for H2a2a.

Cheers, Stan

Comment

• patricianik
                FTDNA Customer
                • Dec 2016

Why would some mutations from be excluded?

Comment

• Stan Clayton
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Aug 2019

Originally posted by patricianik View Post
                  Why would some mutations from be excluded?
                  The explanation I've seen is that these mutations occur across so many haplogroups and subclades that they don't point to any one or a few subclades. The just randomly occur all over the mitochondrial map, so to speak.

Comment

• Stan Clayton
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Aug 2019

Originally posted by nunofreiresilva View Post
                    Hello,

I didn't test my mtDNA here at FTDNA but i tested HVR1 and HVR2. I was put on R0, and that's it. My mutations are 16519C, 263G and 315.1C. I checked on ibermitobase website and i might be something like R0 or H*. Any thaughts on this one? Thanks. Nuno .
                    When I first read and replied to your post I glossed over that you tested only HVRA1 & 2. To refine your mtHaplogroup beyond the base letter group (H or R, for instance) you will need to have a full mtDNA test done. That will identify you Coring Region mutations and refine your mtHaplogroup assignment. The HVRA1 & 2 test is basically useless IMO.

Comment

• ffhound
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Stan Clayton View Post

When I first read and replied to your post I glossed over that you tested only HVRA1 & 2. To refine your mtHaplogroup beyond the base letter group (H or R, for instance) you will need to have a full mtDNA test done. That will identify you Coring Region mutations and refine your mtHaplogroup assignment. The HVRA1 & 2 test is basically useless IMO.
                      Hi Stan

Given that he has the marker for H2a2a does it stand to reason that he is h2a2a or some subclade of that eg H2a2a1?

Comment

• Stan Clayton
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by ffhound View Post

Hi Stan

Given that he has the marker for H2a2a does it stand to reason that he is h2a2a or some subclade of that eg H2a2a1?
                        Thanks ffhound, and sorry I missed your reply to my post.

The short answer to your question is yes. BUT, he won't know which subclade without testing his Coding Region. G263A is the defining mutation for H2a2a1, but there are 9 known CR mutations which define the subclades of H2a2a1. If nunofreiresilva is happy where he is, we share his joy. OTOH, when I found out there was more to learn than I could get from my HVR1&2 results, I just HAD to find out. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X