Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 27th February 2018, 10:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

Only 13 matches

I Recenty unlocked an Ancestry transfer that has only 13 matches shown. There are thousands on GedMatch with 'same' upload. One big difference is that the Ancestry kit had to be 'processed' to work here using http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php Thank the author!!

This is NOT a knock at FTDNA or the conversion, for sure, but only a warning to others that the 'conversion' may be imperfect. Of the 13 matches identified by FTDNA, a few are also the strongest matches on GedMatch.

If I had a choice, I'd take more matches ID'd but with a suitable disclaimer. Sure wouldn't want a lot of false matches, though...

IMHO, Ancestry and 23andMe are driving a wedge in the utility of autosomal DNA for pecuniary interests.

Last edited by hansonrf; 27th February 2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 8th March 2018, 06:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

error when uploading ANcestryDNA

Hello, I'm a new member to the forum.

My answer to the problem people have transferring Ancestry raw data to FTDNA .

When you download raw data from Ancestry it adds the date of transfer to the zip file Title.. ie: dna-data-2018-03-03 You Need to REMOVE the Date -2018-03-03 then transfer zipped file dna-data to FTDNA

Kiss..(Keep it simple stupid)
Old 8th March 2018, 07:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs up KISS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
Those were the Good ol' Days.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Hello, I'm a new member to the forum.

My answer to the problem people have transferring Ancestry raw data to FTDNA .

When you download raw data from Ancestry it adds the date of transfer to the zip file Title.. ie: dna-data-2018-03-03 You Need to REMOVE the Date -2018-03-03 then transfer zipped file dna-data to FTDNA

John we actually tried that when the original problems started happening and it didn't seem to matter. It would be wonderful if it were this simple though, thats for sure!
Old 9th March 2018, 02:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

Since suggesting this on Facebook 18 people have had success (that I know of) The ( - ) before the date should also be removed.. Leaving dna-data On transfer it will read dna-data.zip
Would be interested to hear if this "does/does not" work for anyone
Old 9th March 2018, 02:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Since suggesting this on Facebook 18 people have had success (that I know of) The ( - ) before the date should also be removed.. Leaving dna-data On transfer it will read dna-data.zip
Would be interested to hear if this "does/does not" work for anyone
Is this on files that failed to upload on initial attempt (using ancestry original unaltered file)?

Not all ancestry files fail to upload, it is just a subset that for some reason or other have less SNP within file, making it slightly smaller then the normal ancestry Raw Data file....these are the ones that FTDNA was rejecting
Old 9th March 2018, 04:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
Is this on files that failed to upload on initial attempt (using ancestry original unaltered file)?

Not all ancestry files fail to upload, it is just a subset that for some reason or other have less SNP within file, making it slightly smaller then the normal ancestry Raw Data file....these are the ones that FTDNA was rejecting
This is on files that failed first...As to whether the files were for any reason a different size and why, is beyond my understanding.
At age 77 I try the simple route or ask someone
Old 9th March 2018, 04:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is on files that failed first...As to whether the files were for any reason a different size and why, is beyond my understanding.
At age 77 I try the simple route or ask someone
Old 21st May 2018, 01:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry uploads elsewhere but not here

Add me to the list, zipped or txt, new or old download, will not load here and same error message and advice to buy kit. Please help.
Old 21st May 2018, 08:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsprobsma View Post
Add me to the list, zipped or txt, new or old download, will not load here and same error message and advice to buy kit. Please help.
Have you used the mapmy23 tool to convert ancestry raw data to format ftdna will accept?