• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamoahina
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2006

X chromosomes helped mapped out specific paths

I had used the Ancestry portion of my mother's X chromosomes (from 23andme and Dr. McDonald's analysis) in order to figure out who could have been her foreign (of European descent) ancestors to the Hawaiian islands. August 2014 my mother told me that she was actually adopted.

The only clues I had to go on were:

1) my mother met her biological father once at the age of 5, said he was a pure Hawaiian man.
    2) my FMS resulted in B4a1a1a3, downstream from the Polynesian motif - B4a1a1.
    3) my mother's ancestry is basically 80% E. Asian/Oceanian (combined)
    4) her odd percentage 80% vs 20% seemed like it was the result of multi-generational mixing of mixed Hawaiian/European(ancestry) people.

As complicated as it looked, it was the only way to map out these foreign ancestors and how they ended up giving my mother's odd percentages.

So basically it would be more like this:

I know this is not really the way to go, but given that she was adopted, this was all I had.

I revisted my mother's best DNA match (FTDNA) whose largest segment was significant enough to make me realize that we were closely related. But I had tried to look into this match's tree back in 2014 and again looking into the collateral branches of this match in Jan 2015.

This match's father was Hawaiian and although both of his parents were Hawaiian, my match asked me if I thought it was her paternal grandmother's side, a woman who was Hawaiian and Portuguese. I ruled that line out because we had no matches with Portuguese people, with the exception of other Hawaiian/Portuguese mixd people.

But I had forgotten, and I am glad that I did, that she shares an X in common with my mother. But I know how unreliable that is and how it can linger and for endogamous groups, it makes it more unreliable.

My match also mentioned, after I had researched her collateral branches of her paternal grandfather's side, that her father actually has a European Y haplogroup. So that is when I focused on her female ancestress who had a Hawaiian mother named Kamauu, and a Swiss father. I asked if this couple had more than one child. I was then told the names of the other siblings including half-sibling Robert Holbron and his sister Mereana. I knew that HOLBRON surname looked familiar.

I went to Ancestry to my mother's (and my own) top match and looked at his tree, and saw Robert Holbron and Annie Ludlum. I began to look into all their descendants, looked through census records, marriages, births, obituaries, etc. I also looked into Robert's sister Mereana's line, but she married an Irish man and also spent time in Ireland before both her & her husband moved back to Hawaii and died there.

But since I creatd that chart, I tried to look into branches that kinda matched that knowing that I may not be as accurate. Especially since I show (based on my chart) a half Hawaiian half Caucasian man would marry a Hawaiian woman. Robert Holbron's father was from England, but with Annie, I couldn't tell what she was, until I found a photo of her and she appeared to be Hawaiian, could've been half. Problem is, different ancestry trees (ancestry.com) showed different surnames for Annie.

I continued further down Robert's branches following the chart I created until I focused in on his granddaughters from one particular son until I made that connection. I still need to figure out which of the 3 sisters was my mother's biological mother. I contacted the family and now they are not answering.

We are also trying to access her adoption files (I'll be verifying the forms first before we continue with the process) and I have a feeling that the mother listed is her biological mother, but not the biological father that is listed. I won't know for sure until that happens.

In the meantime, now that I know I got that right family, and knew of all of this woman's ancestries, I was able to redo the calculations and came up with these figures.

As you can see, they do fall into the range of her DNA results.

And I did find a marriage record for Annie Ludlum's parents, and it confirmed that she as 50% Hawaiian, 50% Caucasian and that was part of the redesigning of this chart.
  • crossover
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2014

at least you were able to make use f the x-chromosome. i haven't been able to do much with my mom's x-chromosome dna

Comment

• BBA64
      FTDNA Customer
      • Mar 2015

The X chromosome did a wonderful job in sorting out a 1C1R and 2c1r connection on my birth mothers side. It helped break a brick wall.

Comment

• mamoahina
        FTDNA Customer
        • Mar 2006

I guess because I know how unreliable it can be, I assumed that meant useless. For some, it works. And my match shares a very distant X with my mother. But if I did not ignore that, I would've been focusing on the wrong branch.

Comment

• mamoahina
          FTDNA Customer
          • Mar 2006

I blogged about the details here.
          MISLEADING CLOSE MATCHES Shortly after getting my DNA results back in May 2013, I learned that majority of my DNA predicted connections are an endogamous connection.  That means a predicted connect…

Comment

Working...
          X