X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

Stevo, you make nice charts and I am always impressed by them, and the other visuals you post. I hadn't heard of Phylogeographer, but looked it up and gave it a try for my now-upline paternal R-L1308 branch (which YFull does have), vs. latest terminal R-FGC46379 (which YFull does not have yet). Of course the heat map did not tell me anything new, but nice to have a heat map image.

L1308_phylogeographer_heatmap.jpeg
    I know the pin is meant to be generalized for location within Ireland, but it coincidentally looks to be fairly close to Kilkenny City, earliest location of my immigrant patrilineal ancestor, his father (b. 1808) and paternal grandfather (b. ca. 1780s or so).

Anyway, howdy neighbor!

Comment

• Stevo
      R1b-FGC36981
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      Stevo, you make nice charts and I am always impressed by them, and the other visuals you post. I hadn't heard of Phylogeographer, but looked it up and gave it a try for my now-upline paternal R-L1308 branch (which YFull does have), vs. latest terminal R-FGC46379 (which YFull does not have yet). Of course the heat map did not tell me anything new, but nice to have a heat map image.

L1308_phylogeographer_heatmap.jpeg
      I know the pin is meant to be generalized for location within Ireland, but it coincidentally looks to be fairly close to Kilkenny City, earliest location of my immigrant patrilineal ancestor, his father (b. 1808) and paternal grandfather (b. ca. 1780s or so).

Anyway, howdy neighbor!
      Thanks! Those heat maps are fun. Looks like we're right across the Irish Sea from one another.

Back in the summer of 2015 we rode the ferry from Holy Head in Wales across the Irish Sea to Dublin. It was so much fun. I highly recommend it.

Comment

• KATM
        • Nov 2012

Thanks for the suggestion, it does sound fun. I would like to visit Ireland one day, at least to visit Kilkenny. In the meantime, I hope eventually to find the origins of my other set of Irish 2nd great-grandparents, but thus far they remain brick walls. I suspect at least one was from Co. Monaghan. Plus, I need to renew my passport! Yikes.

Comment

• Stevo
          R1b-FGC36981
          • Apr 2006

When you go to Ireland, I recommend you do what we did: stay in a bed-and-breakfast, and rent a car. It only takes a day or so to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road from the wrong side of the car. If you get out in the country - and you will - Ireland has some pretty narrow roads bordered with hedgerows. It can be pretty hairy when a big lorry is coming the other way and you have to squeeze over and hug the hedgerow. Staying in a bed-and-breakfast is a good way to get to know your hosts. We had a great time with that. It was so much fun. We went to Mass with them, visited their favorite local pub, and hung out with them in the evening in front of a turf fire after a day of running around Ireland.

Here's where we stayed on our first trip to Ireland:

Hawthorn Lodge

Hopefully they'll be fully open soon, now that the COVID-19 pandemic seems to be subsiding. The Hogans are wonderful people.
          Last edited by Stevo; 31 May 2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• georgian1950
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
            It only takes a day or so to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road from the wrong side of the car.
            I haven't tried it myself, but what I have heard is that it is not difficult to getting use to driving on the other side of the road. What you have to be careful about is aiming for the correct lane when you make a turn.

Last edited by Stevo; 1 June 2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Stevo
              R1b-FGC36981
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post

I haven't tried it myself, but what I have heard is that it is not difficult to getting use to driving on the other side of the road. What you have to be careful about is aiming for the correct lane when you make a turn.
              That's exactly right. That's what I found most difficult - and dangerous.

Note: I did not actually edit your post. I forgot I have moderator status and accidentally hit "Edit" when I meant to hit "Quote". It took me a minute to figure out what I did wrong and to remove my own comment from your post and put it here in this reply. Sorry!
              Last edited by Stevo; 1 June 2021, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Stevo
                R1b-FGC36981
                • Apr 2006

I'm posting that graphic again, because I got bored and fiddled with it some more: mainly in making the cross on the shield on the left into a Celtic cross.

I am in the box in the lower left under my second great grandfather, James H. Stevens, and FGC36981. The kits in the box with me include two of my second cousins once removed who share James H. Stevens with me as Y-DNA MRCA. That's how we know James was derived for FGC36981, but we don't know his father's FGC36981 status, because thus far we don't have anyone who shares him with us as Y-DNA MRCA. (All of us in the FGC36981 group share him as a Y-DNA ancestor, but not as our most RECENT common ancestor.) We know that my fifth great grandfather Augustine was ancestral for FGC36981 but derived for FGC36982 (the next step back upstream) because of the fifth cousins of mine represented by the two kit numbers in the box to the right below him. They share Augustine with the rest of us as Y-DNA MRCA,

Those two fifth cousins of mine are very close STR matches for me: 109/111 and 110/111 respectively at 111 markers. After the Big Y-700, the 110/111 match is now a 757/758 match (99.9%), and the 109/111 match is a 748/751 match (99.6%).
                FGC36974 tree_Stephens_Stevens_with symbols.jpg
                Last edited by Stevo; 8 June 2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Stevo
                  R1b-FGC36981
                  • Apr 2006

Pretty obviously, I enjoy making graphics to illustrate what I and my closest matches have learned from DNA testing, especially Y-DNA testing.

My youngest daughter Anna, the computer nerd, says I need to start using something more sophisticated than Paint. She's supposed to teach me how to do that sometime soon.

Comment

• KATM
                    • Nov 2012

I've made some customized charts using my genealogy software (Reunion, for Mac only), so perhaps that might be a possibility for whichever program you use. Otherwise, you could try the open source substitute for Photoshop, GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), or some other graphics program. There are many options, and I'm sure your daughter will know of one or more that would be suitable.

Comment

• Stevo
                      R1b-FGC36981
                      • Apr 2006

I like Paint, and I'm used to it, but I am looking forward to learning to use something a bit more sophisticated. It might be awhile before I do it, however, because I am getting ready to retire at the end of this school year. We've sold our house and are in the process of moving to a state that is kinder to retirees than the one where I currently live.

Comment

• Stevo
                        R1b-FGC36981
                        • Apr 2006

Here's yet another graphic, taking one step back upstream from FGC36974 to FT83585, which is apparently the specifically Welsh branch of R1b-BY168. All the surnames on this tree are Welsh patronymic surnames. I think we'd have at least two more if we could talk a man with the surname Lloyd who is Z18021+ (BY166+) at 23andMe and our Beddoes STR matches into joining our project and doing the Big Y-700.

The flag on the upper right and left is the banner of Owain Glyndwr ("Owen Glendower" in Shakespeare's Henry IV).

FT83585 Tree_Wales.jpg

Comment

• Stevo
                          R1b-FGC36981
                          • Apr 2006

Yesterday I sent an email to a woman who is the sponsor of the kit belonging to her father, with the surname Price, which is a Welsh patronymic surname (ap Rhys, son of Rhys).

I thought he had had only the Big Y-500 and needed to upgrade to the Big Y-700, but she informed me he was on the cusp of the 500 and the 700 and got the 700 results. She said she checked his FT83585 status and he was ancestral (negative) for FT83585, even though he was derived (positive) for BY166 (one step upstream of FT83585).

I was surprised. That makes one Welsh patronymic surname that is BY166+ but FT83585-.

Comment

• Stevo
                            R1b-FGC36981
                            • Apr 2006

A while back I typed up a paper I entitled, "Simple Summary Explaining How I Know Augustine Stevens and His Wife Sophia Young Are My Fifth Great Grandparents". I want to preserve that paper so that all I have learned about my Y-DNA line through DNA testing does not pass away when I pass away. I emailed a copy to my youngest son and asked him to save it to his hard drive, and he said he did. That's great, but he's not particularly interested in genealogy. I'm hoping at least one of his kids - he has three, two boys and a girl - develops an interest in it eventually and can make good use of the information.

I'd like to add the paper to "Sources" at Ancestry, but it contains the names of many of my DNA matches, both Y-DNA and autosomal, and I'm afraid it would violate their privacy,

I'd really like to be able to share what I have written, because the DNA evidence is just overwhelming.

Guess I could sanitize the paper by editing it and removing the names of my matches, but I'm afraid what would be left would be rather bland and that no one in the future would be able to track down the facts it contains.
                            Last edited by Stevo; 22 June 2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• bhemph
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Feb 2018

Stevo, you could contact the genealogy society library for the area where Augustine Stevens and Sophia Young lived and see about sending them a copy to preserve. If you feel that multiple genealogy libraries are relevant places for the information, you could send it to more than one. If you ware worried about living people being listed and that information getting out there too soon, you could have copies printed up and kept with your lawyer and have in your will such that they get sent upon your death. You could even have something saying each of your progeny is to receive a copy at that time. Some might throw their copy away, but at least there would be multiple copies out there. Or have a copy attached to your will to be filed with the will to be found by some researcher many years from now when they look up your will, the treasure trove they may be looking for if the information has been forgotten by then.

Comment

• Stevo
                                R1b-FGC36981
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by bhemph View Post
                                Stevo, you could contact the genealogy society library for the area where Augustine Stevens and Sophia Young lived and see about sending them a copy to preserve. If you feel that multiple genealogy libraries are relevant places for the information, you could send it to more than one. If you ware worried about living people being listed and that information getting out there too soon, you could have copies printed up and kept with your lawyer and have in your will such that they get sent upon your death. You could even have something saying each of your progeny is to receive a copy at that time. Some might throw their copy away, but at least there would be multiple copies out there. Or have a copy attached to your will to be filed with the will to be found by some researcher many years from now when they look up your will, the treasure trove they may be looking for if the information has been forgotten by then.
                                Great ideas! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X