X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adrian Stevenson
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2014

Simply how FTDNA describe it. I would count Finland as Europe. Siberia not of course.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

• Adrian Stevenson
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jul 2014

I have already tested with LivingDNA

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

• Adrian Stevenson
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jul 2014

Europe 100%
        Great Britain and Ireland 97.3%
        Europe (unassigned) 2.7%

Comment

• malchik
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
          Simply how FTDNA describe it. I would count Finland as Europe. Siberia not of course.

Cheers, Ade.
          Then of course you are not 100% European.

Comment

• Adrian Stevenson
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jul 2014

What with today's changes to My Origins, here is my revised report which now reads as:

European 98%

British Isles 96%
            South East Europe 2%

trace results come out as:

South Central Asia 2%
            East Europe 2%

The South Central Asia is interesting as this has been thrown up on some of my GED Match calculations.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

• malchik
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
              What with today's changes to My Origins, here is my revised report which now reads as:

European 98%

Cheers, Ade.
              I told you.

Comment

• jvarela
                FTDNA Customer
                • Nov 2016

Hello folks,
                I am brasilian. I dont know any diferent ascendency in my roots then portuguese one, maybe spanish(not yet prooved, just by oral tradition). by the genetics test I knew subsaharian and idian one, but other then these I never heard about in my family. In my case, previous FTDNA gave: 79% european - 45% IBerian; 23% British isles; 11% eastern/west europe. Now, European: 72% - BRITISH ISLE 42%!!!!!!!!!!; Southeeast europe??????-26%; Iberian - 4%?????. By this score, I am british descdent?????????Someone here could explain me. Portuguese descendents never ever have this score. What could explain this??????someone would know?

Comment

• malchik
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by jvarela View Post
                  Hello folks,
                  I am brasilian. I dont know any diferent ascendency in my roots then portuguese one, maybe spanish(not yet prooved, just by oral tradition). by the genetics test I knew subsaharian and idian one, but other then these I never heard about in my family. In my case, previous FTDNA gave: 79% european - 45% IBerian; 23% British isles; 11% eastern/west europe. Now, European: 72% - BRITISH ISLE 42%!!!!!!!!!!; Southeeast europe??????-26%; Iberian - 4%?????. By this score, I am british descdent?????????Someone here could explain me. Portuguese descendents never ever have this score. What could explain this??????someone would know?
                  MyOrigins get confused with your admixtures. But how far does your genealogy goes? from which parts of Portugual do they come from? Any Islands?

Comment

• Anglo-dutch88
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Apr 2017

Fellow Brit (with Dutch)

Originally posted by Stephen Rhodes View Post
                    My Family Finder myOrigins results tell me that I am 100% European. The breakdown is as follows:

57% from the British Isles
                    24% from Scandinavia
                    19% from Western and Central Europe

I would love to talk to people with similar results. Also, anyone who can help me understand what this means would be great!

Cheers,

Steve
                    Hi Steve,

I am English and I scored:

British Isles: 44%
                    Scandinavian: 36%
                    South East European: 20%

I have a lot of viking ancestry, increased also by my Dutch heritage seemingly, as a lot of Dutch are scoring around 58% Scandinavian. As a Brit, I find it really strange this American fascination with native american ancestry. My partner is Colombian, so is actually Native American around 55%. He looks very different to us! I even came up with some Native American on GED match and can assure you, I have no relatives from that side of the world.

I find it quite offensive that you guys seemingly despise your British genes. Surely we can put Independence behind us? We have so much history, my genes are greatly influenced by the battle of the Viking's/Angles/Normans in 1066 and rule of Dane Law.

It's funny because my partner complained about how homogeneous his Native American is, and the other half of him was Spanish Conquistador and a bit of African. He was so more excited about my European descent as it is a lot more mixed.Be proud of your roots American's! Look in the mirror, you are us!

Comment

• cbeck
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jul 2016

That's funny, I scored 93% British Isles and I am an American but you are British and score much lower in total.

Comment

• KATM
                        mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Anglo-dutch88 View Post
                        I find it quite offensive that you guys seemingly despise your British genes. Surely we can put Independence behind us? We have so much history, my genes are greatly influenced by the battle of the Viking's/Angles/Normans in 1066 and rule of Dane Law.

It's funny because my partner complained about how homogeneous his Native American is, and the other half of him was Spanish Conquistador and a bit of African. He was so more excited about my European descent as it is a lot more mixed.Be proud of your roots American's! Look in the mirror, you are us!
                        As far as "despising British genes," perhaps I'm misunderstanding your meaning, or missed something; I'm not sure to which post(s) in this thread you are referring. Any that take issue with myOrigins showing British ancestry for them seem to do so because their known ancestry doesn't indicate having any British Isles, not because there's anything wrong with it. Could you point out which posts had such comments?

Comment

• malchik
                          • Jan 2017

I have a lot of viking ancestry, increased also by my Dutch heritage seemingly, as a lot of Dutch are scoring around 58% Scandinavian.
                          The reality you know is about to end...

First, MyOrigins ridiculously overshoots Scandinavian ancestry and that is a known problem of the calculator... As an anecdote, you can take the example of a girl from Northern Italy who showed up as 25% Scandinavian. It can be 58%, but it can be 85% or it can be much much less than that... Second, Scandinavian show up in sons/daughters, whose parents dont have anything of Scandinavian and vice versa...

In other words, it all depends on some circumstances...

I even came up with some Native American on GED match and can assure you, I have no relatives from that side of the world.
                          Using genetic analyses, scientists have discovered that Northern European populations -- including British, Scandinavians, French, and some Eastern Europeans -- descend from a mixture of two very different ancestral populations, and one of these populations is related to Native Americans.

After 864 the low countries were relatively spared from Viking raids, probably because the Danes (most Vikings raiding the low countries came from Danmark) shifted their attention to England.
                          Algemene Geschiedenis der Nederlanden, volume 1, pages 300-311
                          bullet H.P.H. Jansen: Middeleeuwse geschiedenis der Nederlanden, pages 56-59

...which goes to say the Dutch were not Vikings, but were suffering in the hands of Vikings marauders until the bastards went away to bug other people...
                          Last edited by malchik; 12 April 2017, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• malchik
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by cbeck View Post
                            That's funny, I scored 93% British Isles and I am an American but you are British and score much lower in total.
                            Maybe the results differ depending on each side of the Atlantic you take the test...
                            Anyway, I would apply for British citizenship right now

Comment

• barry hart
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jul 2016

I used to have 100% eupope,sorry 101 %, which was.
                              british isles 55%
                              Scandinavian 21%
                              southern Europe 14%
                              finland& Siberia 6%
                              eastern Europe 5% I have now been given 99% Europe which is
                              western & central Europe 59%
                              british isles 25 %
                              Scandinavia 15% which amounts to 99% and the 1% other is >2% south eastern Europe. which in two ways don't make sence.

Comment

• cbeck
                                FTDNA Customer
                                • Jul 2016

Maybe the results differ depending on each side of the Atlantic you take the test...
                                Anyway, I would apply for British citizenship right now

May not be a bad time to make the move.

Comment

Working...
                                X