Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 5th March 2018, 02:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Techniques for advanced STR comparison

Just curious if there's anything that can be done to distinguish people who match by coincidence from people who match because they are related, with any degree of certainty.

Are there any patterns to look for, such as smaller differences where there are differences, versus less differences of more steps?

I've googled a bit, but I'm not finding anything close to what I'm looking for. Maybe there's no way.
In the same vein, I'm having trouble finding a good source for which markers are compared in a step-wise versus infinite mutation model, after the 68th marker.
Old 6th March 2018, 04:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

One thing I'm doing is looking at places where I am above or below the modal value, and seeing if my suspected matches are on the same side.

I also have two markers that are considerably larger or smaller than the mode, but they are fast mutating, and I know that one is known for large 1-step mutations.

I'm also putting all of my possible results in a matrix over at http://www.mymcgee.com/tools/yutility111.html

I'm looking for patterns, such as someone who matches a lot of people more closely, and how that compares to how they match the modal value. There is some obvious clustering where people are related to each other. I have a person who I suspects matches me. I try to see if we both match other kits similarly, but I'm not sure if causality isn't running in the other direction.
Old 8th March 2018, 03:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
Just curious if there's anything that can be done to distinguish people who match by coincidence from people who match because they are related, with any degree of certainty.

Are there any patterns to look for, such as smaller differences where there are differences, versus less differences of more steps?

I've googled a bit, but I'm not finding anything close to what I'm looking for. Maybe there's no way.
Based solely on the STR results (without SNPs or genealogy), there is no way to know if the match is a result of a lack of mutations (a true close relationship) or convergent or back mutations (falsely showing a close relationship). Testing more markers can help, but you really need SNP testing or genealogy to really known.

Quote:
In the same vein, I'm having trouble finding a good source for which markers are compared in a step-wise versus infinite mutation model, after the 68th marker.
For how FTDNA calculates genetic distance, see the 4th paragraph at this link: http://www.ydnagroupingapp.com/stati...p_FAQ.html#how is gd calculated
Old 8th March 2018, 04:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Yeah, I've noticed even identifying someone who is at least in the same parent clade as someone else, has less than a 1000 year TMRCA, then checking their markers manually, looking for something far from the mode that they match on and is a slow marker, /still/ does not guarantee you have found two people in the same terminal clade.

They are probably in sibling branches, though.

That said, if you know the age of the parent clade, you could probably adjust that linear math. It seems like it would be complex and multivariate, but you could take back mutations into account, essentially calculating how many could have happened given x years, and increase the GD accordingly, within a range.

Don't ask me for the #s though.
Old 8th March 2018, 04:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
Yeah, I've noticed even identifying someone who is at least in the same parent clade as someone else, has less than a 1000 year TMRCA, then checking their markers manually, looking for something far from the mode that they match on and is a slow marker, /still/ does not guarantee you have found two people in the same terminal clade.

They are probably in sibling branches, though.

That said, if you know the age of the parent clade, you could probably adjust that linear math. It seems like it would be complex and multivariate, but you could take back mutations into account, essentially calculating how many could have happened given x years, and increase the GD accordingly, within a range.

Don't ask me for the #s though.
I think some of the more sophisticated TMRCA algorithms do something like that, but you still just get a probabilistic answer with a very large confidence interval.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
Based solely on the STR results (without SNPs or genealogy), there is no way to know if the match is a result of a lack of mutations (a true close relationship) or convergent or back mutations (falsely showing a close relationship). Testing more markers can help, but you really need SNP testing or genealogy to really known. [----]
Amen.

Mr. W.
Old 11th March 2018, 12:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

SAPP

Look at http://www.jdvtools.com/SAPP/ but realize it could have some "time" constraints after which it may not work.
Old 12th March 2018, 01:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkauffman View Post
Look at http://www.jdvtools.com/SAPP/ but realize it could have some "time" constraints after which it may not work.
Cool. Thanks.

I'll see if the author would like to add my branch.