Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:21 PM
VelvetVellocet VelvetVellocet is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 49
Test Dad's Y at higher steps? OR Test out his mtDNA?

I tested my Dad's Y and he had zero 12 step matches. On his Ancestral Origins it came up Afghanistan and Morocco where he matched one person from each nation. I debated whether I should bother testing his Y at higher steps or the mtDNA, and I decided to test the mitochondrial.

If I test the Y at higher steps would it produce any matches? I figured if I had none at 12, I probably wouldn't have any at a higher level. Is that true?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:50 PM
cacio cacio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,334
I agree with you. If there's nothing at 12, there won't be anything at 25 etc. It makes much more sense to test other parts of the DNA, which could give useful information. The mtdna if you want to know about his maternal lineage, 23andme or the like for other parts of the DNA.

cacio
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:02 PM
gijoeinfinity gijoeinfinity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 96
I've read some cases (on another message board) where a certain person did not match with another person in the first 12 (had a GD of 2), but when they both eventually upgraded to a 67 test, it turned out they were closely matched after all (something like a GD of 4).

So it's not impossible that a close match could turn up in the higher resolution testing of Y-DNA, where it didn't show up in the first 12 markers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:10 PM
VelvetVellocet VelvetVellocet is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacio View Post
I agree with you. If there's nothing at 12, there won't be anything at 25 etc. It makes much more sense to test other parts of the DNA, which could give useful information. The mtdna if you want to know about his maternal lineage, 23andme or the like for other parts of the DNA.

cacio
FTDNA has his sample and mine, I have been pleased with the results I received in the past, and I don't want our DNA genetic profiles in more than one bank so I'm not going to use any other company. I submitted payment today to perform the mtDNA so I'll be watching the batch returns as soon as I'm assigned a number.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:12 PM
VelvetVellocet VelvetVellocet is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeinfinity View Post
I've read some cases (on another message board) where a certain person did not match with another person in the first 12 (had a GD of 2), but when they both eventually upgraded to a 67 test, it turned out they were closely matched after all (something like a GD of 4).

So it's not impossible that a close match could turn up in the higher resolution testing of Y-DNA, where it didn't show up in the first 12 markers.
I'll probably test higher on his Y later this year. I have been curious about his maternal side so it will be interesting to see what turns up for her.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:52 PM
mkdexter mkdexter is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mesa, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,021
Try yearch.org and see if you have any matches at 8 markers. Always good to at least have 25 markers in the system anway. Don't be afraid to upgade just because of no matches.... Someone may test in the future and may end up matching you. The database is always growing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd April 2010, 05:29 PM
VelvetVellocet VelvetVellocet is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdexter View Post
Try yearch.org and see if you have any matches at 8 markers. Always good to at least have 25 markers in the system anway. Don't be afraid to upgade just because of no matches.... Someone may test in the future and may end up matching you. The database is always growing.
He has zero matches on Y search.

I'm going to wait for the results from his mtDNA test and then test his Y at a higher level later this year.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24th April 2010, 06:37 AM
Jim Barrett Jim Barrett is offline
R-BY39877
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Timpson, TX
Posts: 2,279
If your father has an exact 12 marker match with someone who has elected to "not see" their 12 marker matches they wouldn't show up on your father's 12 marker match list.

As already mentioned, he might have a genetic distance of 2 match at twelve markers. It wouldn't show up on your father's 12 marker match list. If he happened to still be a genetic distance of 2 from that same person on 25 markers they would show up on your father's 25 marker match list.

Checking Ysearch is good, but MANY people don't add their data to Ysearch.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26th April 2010, 02:31 PM
VelvetVellocet VelvetVellocet is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
If your father has an exact 12 marker match with someone who has elected to "not see" their 12 marker matches they wouldn't show up on your father's 12 marker match list.

As already mentioned, he might have a genetic distance of 2 match at twelve markers. It wouldn't show up on your father's 12 marker match list. If he happened to still be a genetic distance of 2 from that same person on 25 markers they would show up on your father's 25 marker match list.

Checking Ysearch is good, but MANY people don't add their data to Ysearch.
I'm inclined to believe that he doesn't have any matches because they haven't tested yet. On the haplotree portion where you can see distance matches he has (2) 1 distance matches one from Morocco and one from "unknown", and (2) at 2 distance, (7) at 3 distance, and (24) at 4 distance. If I tested his Y at a higher level would it increase the number of 1 distance matches?

Does the separation of distance between matches (higher vs lower) denote a more distantly related genetic match? The ideal being matches with a lower distance mutation because they are more closely related?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.