Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 20th July 2018, 07:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

Haplogroup T2e Mizrachi, Madeira and Galicia

I'm new to ftDNA (received my results yesterday) and after a mtDNA full sequence found that I have matches where in the comments section it lists Mizrachi, Madeira and Galicia.

What does this mean, where should I go to learn more about my connection to Mizrachi, Madeira and Galicia?

Thank you.
Old 20th July 2018, 10:58 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

The locations shown for your mtDNA matches, Ancestral Origins, or for Haplogroup Origins are based on what has been entered by your matches. In other words, your matches have entered into the notes the information they know for their ancestors, ideally for their Most Distant Known Ancestor (MDKA).

FTDNA shows the basic origins of the mtDNA haplogroups under "mtDNA - Migration Maps." If you have mtDNA haplogroup associated with Europe, you may find out more about it at Eupedia.com, or Haplogroup.org.
Old 20th July 2018, 07:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticlavdivs View Post
I'm new to ftDNA (received my results yesterday) and after a mtDNA full sequence found that I have matches where in the comments section it lists Mizrachi, Madeira and Galicia.

What does this mean, where should I go to learn more about my connection to Mizrachi, Madeira and Galicia?

Thank you.
For Mizrachis search for Sephardic Jewish dna. Sephardics appear to have higher rates of T2e. Depending on the region Mizrachi Jewish dna may be similar to Sephardics. Of course, Sephardics lived in Spain at one point.
Old 21st July 2018, 12:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
For Mizrachis search for Sephardic Jewish dna. Sephardics appear to have higher rates of T2e. Depending on the region Mizrachi Jewish dna may be similar to Sephardics. Of course, Sephardics lived in Spain at one point.

I am not suggesting that your matches are mainly Jewish. But there was a converso Sephardic community in Madiera.
Old 21st July 2018, 06:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

implication of Jewish Matches

It is not simply that having Jewish matches implies Jewish amcestry. It is the combination of Jewish matches AND a T2e Mtdna line that implies Mizrachi-Sephardic ancestry. One might have Jewish matches on a sibling line ( aunt, grandaunt etc.) and have Jewish matches by way of conversion in the sibling line.
Old 23rd July 2018, 08:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Sephardic T2e on the Rio Grande

Some Iberian T2e Sephardics fled to Nuevo Leon-Monterrey Mexico. They were forced to convert and even today are reluctant to discuss Jewish ancestry. The families became prominent on both sides of the Rio Grande from San Antonio to the Gulf