• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flanged
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2009

Enquiry for group R1a1a (1)

I received an email from Joel who is hoping to contact members of the R1a1a (1) group.

Joel is descended from James Bruce b.1743 of Massachusetts who married Molly Rockwood, and you may contact him at [email protected]

ps, See also similar contact request for this group from Marcia in thread http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=33471
  • PDHOTLEN
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2006

In the family tree I've been putting together (mine), i've taken some of my maternal lines back to Medieval times, mostly via entries at Ancestry. I connect to the Bruce line with Mary Clarissa de Bruce, born 255, Annandale, Scotland. Her father was Robert "The Competitor" de Bruce, 5th Earl of Annandale, 1210-1295. Tracing that line back, I ended at Rognwald "The Wise" Eysteinsson, born 830 in Oppland, Norway, and died 890 in the Orkney Islands. I don't know how accurate this all is.
    Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 14 February 2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
      FTDNA Customer
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
      In the family tree I've been putting together (mine), i've taken some of my maternal lines back to Medieval times, mostly via entries at Ancestry. I connect to the Bruce line with Mary Clarissa de Bruce, born 1255, Annandale, Scotland. Her father was Robert "The Competitor" de Bruce, 5th Earl of Annandale, 1210-1295. Tracing that line back, I ended at Rognwald "The Wise" Eysteinsson, born 830 in Oppland, Norway, and died 890 in the Orkney Islands. I don't know how accurate this all is.
      This is tracing the male line back from Robert. Could it be R1a1a?

There is also a female connection along the way to Arlogia Vladimirovna (c.1011-1046), daughter of Grand Prince Vladimir of Kievan Rus. Her mother came from Byzantine imperial stock.
      Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 15 February 2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
        This is tracing the male line back from Robert. Could it be R1a1a?

There is also a female connection along the way to Arlogia Vladimirovna (c.1011-1046), daughter of Grand Prince Vladimir of Kievan Rus. Her mother came from Byzantine imperial stock.
        I wouldn't be surprised if a diligent genealogist would connect that Macedonian dynasty of Byzantium to Cleopatra (Ptolemy) and Alexander-the Great.

Comment

• RVBlake
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2016

Ancestry Family Trees

You have to be very careful using Ancestry Family Trees as a source for building your own. I've discovered there's a lot of nonsense and wishful thinking involved.

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by RVBlake View Post
            You have to be very careful using Ancestry Family Trees as a source for building your own. I've discovered there's a lot of nonsense and wishful thinking involved.
            Yeah, I mostly do the deep stuff for the entertainment value. I don't confirm or guarantee much of anything in my tree prior to the Revolutionary War.

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
              FTDNA Customer
              • Feb 2006

I bumped into another connection to the Bruce clan. I extended amy maternal branch as plausible due to a lack of a birth certificate which probably never existed in the first place in 1816 Indiana. Going back to colonial Virginia was an Elizabeth Bruce who is a direct descendant of a brother of Robert "The Bruce" Bruce, King of the Scots. She married Francis Settle from Yorkshire, England.

Comment

Working...
              X