• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aidan
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2009

myOrigins vs Ancestry Composition

I had a relation who recently transferred his 23andMe data to FTDNA. His myOrigins results differ somewhat to those of 23andMe.

On 23andMe (using the standard setting) his results are:

81.9% British & Irish
    14.2% Broadly Northwestern European
    0.9% Iberian
    0.1% Broadly Southern European
    2.8% Broadly European

His myOrigins results are:

73% British Isles
    14% Western and Central European
    12% Scandinavia
    2% Asia Minor

Can I presume the Scandinavian on myOrigins could be the Broadly Northwestern European on 23andMe?
  • Frank Kelch
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2017

That's what it looks like to me. In fact, I'd say that those results are quite close to each other.

Comment

• wombat
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2015

The Scandinavian might be parts of both the Broadly Northwestern and British & Irish you got at 23.

Anyway with such high British & Irish scores at both, I think your ancestry from the U.K. is likely to be very heavily Irish as opposed to English (who tend to score a lot more Broadly Northwestern European and French & German).

The tests can't specifically label English vs Broadly Northwestern European vs German vs Scandinavian so well at times but so long as you are mostly from one place you can then use the ratios as hints in some cases. For instance, the as mentioned Irish vs. English. It seems only Irish get the really high percentage scores for British & Irish perhaps because the components tries to key a bit on ancient hunter gatherer genes of the British Isles and it seems the Irish retain more of those and got less mixings during some of the invasions from the continent later on.

Comment

Working...
      X