• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • royfarnol
    mtDNA: none | Y-DNA: R-L448+CTS4279-
    • Mar 2010

How to manage an FF test for a cousin?

A third cousin has agreed to a swab, which I will pay for, but doesn't want to be involved in the process himself.

What's the best way for me to set it up and manage the process?

Will it be a separate kit number, etc, etc.?
  • mkdexter
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2009

Start a Family Finder Project. Call FTDNA if you need to have them help you do so.. make sure you tell them it is for a Family Finder, not surname, project.

After they set it up then you can order your relative a FF test using your project log in. Order the test from your actual project and not separately. This will allow you to track any and all of the tests you want to manage under your project.

Be sure to include your own FF test too.

Comment

• efgen
      Webinar Coordinator
      • Dec 2005

You don't need to set up a project just to manage someone else's kit.

Just order a new kit from the order form linked from the FTDNA homepage -- not as an add-on through your own account. Put in your own email address in the order form, then you'll get all the notifications, account access, etc. I manage several family members' kits this way.

If you want the kit to be mailed directly to your cousin, then put in his mailing address, but if you want it to be mailed to you so that you can hand it to him (if he's local), then you can put in your own mailing address.

Yes, the kit # will be different from yours -- every person tested gets a unique kit #.

Of course, you *can* set up a project so that you have easy access to both kits from the project administrator's page, but it's not a necessity.

Elise
      Last edited by efgen; 2 January 2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• mkdexter
        FTDNA Customer
        • Dec 2009

You save $40 on every Family Finder kit you order from your project. That's why I suggested to use a project.

The main thing is if your cousin is willing to test then now is the time to go for it.

Comment

• mkdexter
          FTDNA Customer
          • Dec 2009

Hmmmm.. you can get the holiday price for $40 off too.. but if the price goes back to $289 then the project will be cheaper.

Comment

• dwight
            FTDNA Customer
            • Aug 2010

This is interesting and perhaps would be of use. I seem to have stirred up some FamilyFinder interest among sibs and cousins.

But is FTDNA cool with the fact that this is essentially a family project? Not one that is casting a wider net to recruit others?

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
            Start a Family Finder Project. Call FTDNA if you need to have them help you do so.. make sure you tell them it is for a Family Finder, not surname, project.

After they set it up then you can order your relative a FF test using your project log in. Order the test from your actual project and not separately. This will allow you to track any and all of the tests you want to manage under your project.

Be sure to include your own FF test too.

Comment

• mkdexter
              FTDNA Customer
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by dwight View Post
              But is FTDNA cool with the fact that this is essentially a family project? Not one that is casting a wider net to recruit others?
              I'll refer to my original post on this thread, call FTDNA and talk to them about setting up a FF project. It would be up to the two of you to determine if this would work.

Comment

• travers
                FTDNA Customer
                • Oct 2010

For future reference how do you go about getting a Family Finder discount for ordering through a project? I have never seen a discount for Family Finder on my project ordering page other than when there is a sale. Although you would think they would offer a discount all the time or lower the price as it is a very expensive test and unlike the other tests it's helpful to recruit many family members.

You save $40 on every Family Finder kit you order from your project. That's why I suggested to use a project.

The main thing is if your cousin is willing to test then now is the time to go for it.

Comment

• darroll
                  • Jun 2006

I use these tests to verify family.

I will not join/start a project as I want to know where our DNA results are.

Comment

• dwight
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Aug 2010

ok - will do! thanks.

I'll refer to my original post on this thread, call FTDNA and talk to them about setting up a FF project. It would be up to the two of you to determine if this would work.

Comment

• Javelin
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                      Just order a new kit from the order form linked from the FTDNA homepage
                      Yes, it's quite simple and I've done this very easily for four kits:

myself
                      a parent
                      a second cousin
                      a fourth cousin

In each case I ordered through an existing project -- though in each case, a different project! -- for the discount.

Comment

• efgen
                        Webinar Coordinator
                        • Dec 2005

No... the FF price is the same for both project and non-project orders.

The holiday sale price was $40 lower than the regular price, but the sale is now over, and the project/non-project prices are back to normal and the same.

Elise

Comment

• dwight
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Aug 2010

Oh.

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                          No... the FF price is the same for both project and non-project orders.

The holiday sale price was $40 lower than the regular price, but the sale is now over, and the project/non-project prices are back to normal and the same.

Elise

Comment

• mkdexter
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Dec 2009

I see that too. Bummer!

Comment

Working...
                            X