Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 18th May 2017, 09:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Y-DNA, related?

Just when I thought I had a basic understanding....out the window it went.

I am trying to get past my grandfather, a 30-year brick wall. I believe he changed his name for unknown reasons.

I did a 111 Marker test and a family finder test. Didn't do mtdna, since I have that traced back many generations.

I was excited to see on a 37 marker Y-Dna a zero-genetic distance match. The donor's father however was adopted. He did not test past 37. When his father completed the family finder, he did not appear in my matches. I get that the test is autosomal and doesn't test Y, but still should he not show in Family finder? Especially since there was zero genetic distance?

So he uploaded his test into GEDmatch. He did not match in there either, one to one showed zero cm matches. Zero DNA segments matched.

So what's right? Is he closely related or not even close?

Don't mind dropping cash if it will give answers, but I am left with more questions on whats true, whats not?

Should 'family finder' not confirm is someone is connected? Would y-DNA not be the same answers?

Should I put more stock in a 67 marker at genetic distance of 3 than a 37 marker test with genetic distance of zero?

Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 06:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Y-DNA can find matches many generation back. FF will start missing relatives at three or four generations.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

To further elaborate on what Jim stated. A GD of 0 at Y37 is relevant but not necessarily close; sounds like in your case that it will be more than 7 or 8 generations back. They will most likely start to drop off as well at 67 and 111 but most likely will still be related in a genealogical time frame. Run the matches one or both kits test at gedmatch and see if there are other cousins that both of you match at any good values.
Old 19th May 2017, 01:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

canuck00 -

If you are looking at a potential French-Canadian ("Canuck") ancestor, and you are finding zero segment matches on GEDmatch, I think it's highly unlikely that you two are closely related. As they say in Quebec, "We are all related", and the history of cousin marriage and large family size greatly increases the likelihood of matching segments. On GEDmatch, I have numerous matches (at the default matching parameters) where the most recent common ancestor was 8-10 generations back. Try resetting the matching parameters to 500 SNPs and 1 cM and see what you find. With a common FC ancestor, I would expect to find several matching segments at that low-bar setting.
Old 27th May 2017, 08:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

If you are 'willing to drop the cash', then offer to pay to upgrade your Y37 to 67.

And if you have siblings or other close relatives, try them with Family Finder. They might match your Y match. Not great odds, but having close relatives' test results will help in other pursuits as well.

Even though you don't match at GedMatch, you still can use the tool called "People who match one
or both of 2 kits". You might find plenty of mutual matches.

I have one YDNA 37 of GD-0 for a 5th cousin (actually 4th 1r). Same surname with known tree. I do not match his son on FF. And I have a few 36s and 35s (also Abrams 5ths and 6ths) that do not match me with FF. Only one of my known Abrams Y37 cousins matches with a FF.

Last edited by mabrams; 27th May 2017 at 09:08 PM.