Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 2nd May 2017, 11:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

family members need to take same mtDNA?

Hi, I am still new to this, so this may seem like a dumb question to some of you.
I have done my mtDNA full sequence. Is it necessary to do the same test for each of my two sisters? Our mother is not living.
Also, if I have cousins that have the same mtDNA line (their mother is sis to my mother), do they need to test?
Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

No need for any of them to test.

The results will be the same as yours.

Cheers, Ade.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you!
Old 10th May 2017, 09:48 AM
FTDNA Customer

I took the DNA test and then had my brother take the mtDna

We got back that he was Scottish and I wasn't. I have Scandinavian and German. How can that be?
Old 10th May 2017, 01:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Scots and Scandinavians

Because there were vikings all over Scotland. There was gene flow everywhere in NW Europe.

Moreover the mt-DNA test is looking at just a single ancestral line (mother>mother>mother>etc. for thousands of years) whereas the autosomal test was looking at your overall genetic makeup through all the lines and finding a sort of average. So no, there is no reason for them to agree.

See this (Vikings picked up slaves and took them home)
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016...d-women-slaves

and this (what is a Scots identity and does it match up with DNA test results?) see page 90
https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/bitstr...pdf?sequence=1

I'm assuming you mean your brother's test was mt-DNA and yours was autosomal i.e., "family finder"
-If both were mt-DNA there should be no difference between the two of you in the actual test results. (There could be differences in "origin" speculation if different models are used.)
-If both tests were autosomal you will share only an expected 50% of your parental alleles, there can be wild differences.)

Last edited by abuelita; 10th May 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10th May 2017, 01:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
We got back that he was Scottish and I wasn't. I have Scandinavian and German. How can that be?
Was the DNA test that you took mtDNA?

In other words are you comparing results of the same type of DNA with your brother?

Jack