Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - Advanced Chat

Group Administrators - Advanced Chat Discussion forum for Project Group Administrators. Exchange experiences, ideas and interpretation of results.

Old 9th June 2018, 10:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Group Project Access Only ?

I know there are a few similar threads but I cannot tell if my issue with the privacy settings is unique or common.

As a project manager when looking at a list of project members historically I could click on their kit number and be taken to their home page.

I now find if "Group Project Access Only" displays along with their kit number,name. etc I can no longer click on kit number and see their information. Nadda. Nothing-I cannot see anything or go anywhere.

So is this issue unique to me? Or do they have to change their settings to limited access?
Old 9th June 2018, 11:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

The absence of a link for Group Project Access Only members is intentional. Group Project Access Only means you cannot look at the group member's personal myFTDNA page.
Old 10th June 2018, 10:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Group Project Access Only means you cannot look at the group member's personal myFTDNA page.

Even when your project manager? Apparently so. So what is the suggested setting for a project member when the project manager needs to see that page?
Old 10th June 2018, 04:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

If you need to just see what is on a member's myFTDNA page, but don't need to change anything, I think Limited Access is the right access level.
Old 11th June 2018, 07:40 AM
mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253

new changes to access

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
If you need to just see what is on a member's myFTDNA page, but don't need to change anything, I think Limited Access is the right access level.
I have sent this message to the 20 members of my Stevenson Project with Group Project Access Only.

"to access your Project Preferences page:

1. Sign in to your myFTDNA account.
2. In the upper-right corner of the page, click on your name/kit number, and click Privacy & Sharing from the drop-down menu. The Privacy & Sharing page is displayed.
3. Click the Project Preferences tab. Your Project Preferences page is displayed.
4. Choose either Full Access or Limited Access for me and Paul Stone (my coadministrator). If you belong to more than one Project, they will also be listed and you should repeat this action for each of your projects.
5. Next, Click the Privacy and Sharing tab. Your Privacy and Sharing options are then displayed.
6. Scroll down to Project Sharing section and then Group Project Profile. check Op In to Sharing tick box."

I also included a screen shot of the Privacy and Sharing Tab as this is a big page and one might miss the block to tick for Opt in to Sharing.

I have not yet decided what to do about those who do NOT make the change from Group Project Access Only.

Curry Walker Admin of Stevenson-Stephenson Surname Project.
Old 18th June 2018, 11:36 AM
mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253

Group Project Access Only

I would like to hear from other project managers on how they are handling this issue. I began with 20 of 203 members with Group Project Access Only access on 24 May. After bulk email to the 20 members, I still have 12 who remain at this level.

I am considering removing them from the project if at least limited access is not granted.

Stevenson-Stephenson project
Old 18th June 2018, 12:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

I am still trying to figure out how to deal with this as well. I have stated in my Welcome Email to new members that changing the privacy settings to Full or Limited access is required in order to stay in the project. I removed two recent joiners who didn't do this after a few days and an email reminder.

I only have 15 out of 225 members who have changed their settings at this point. Many joined before I was managing the project and appear to be FF testers. Many are probably deceased at this point and cannot change their settings.

I am starting to send out individual emails to the people who are not changing their settings and will probably remove them if they do not have yDNA results connected to their profile and who do not respond to my email to them.
Old 18th June 2018, 03:58 PM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma04 View Post
I would like to hear from other project managers on how they are handling this issue. I began with 20 of 203 members with Group Project Access Only access on 24 May. After bulk email to the 20 members, I still have 12 who remain at this level.

I am considering removing them from the project if at least limited access is not granted.

Stevenson-Stephenson project
Do you normally remove dead members or members who changed their email address and failed to update their contact information?
Old 18th June 2018, 05:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Do you normally remove dead members or members who changed their email address and failed to update their contact information?
For my surname projects, I see no reason to keep people in the project who do not have yDNA results attached to their kit number. The majority of the people who joined when the project was at WFT are transfer kits with only autosomal test results or NO DNA results attached to their kits. Surname projects need yDNA for grouping purposes. It is clearly stated in the description of the group that those without yDNA test results should not join. For my largest project, I will not be removing any kit with yDNA results even if I am unable to make contact with them or they have not changed their privacy settings.
Old 19th June 2018, 06:55 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHolt-Galvin View Post
For my surname projects, I see no reason to keep people in the project who do not have yDNA results attached to their kit number. The majority of the people who joined when the project was at WFT are transfer kits with only autosomal test results or NO DNA results attached to their kits. Surname projects need yDNA for grouping purposes. It is clearly stated in the description of the group that those without yDNA test results should not join. For my largest project, I will not be removing any kit with yDNA results even if I am unable to make contact with them or they have not changed their privacy settings.
My reply was to the message from oma04.

As for your message I thought that Autosomal DNA was DNA. Maybe you meant "with no Y-DNA results".

If you accepted these people at WFT, why wouldn't you accept them at FTDNA if their results is from FTDNA test(s)?