Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - Advanced Chat

Group Administrators - Advanced Chat Discussion forum for Project Group Administrators. Exchange experiences, ideas and interpretation of results.

Old 21st February 2015, 07:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy Join Requests Failing

The reply to link in automated join request responses are failing. I've received 4 such responses lately and all the links failed. These were for the Duncan and Warren project groups. But I suspect this is a global issue caused by the URL changes in groups.
Old 1st March 2015, 10:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Member List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCoker View Post
The default privacy setting for the new member lists is set to private. The default should be project members only. The basic purpose of groups is to exchange information and help each other with genealogy. Making everything private impedes the purpose for which groups exist. Anyone that wants total privacy could either toggle their settings to make themselves hidden. Or, they could just not join groups.
I changed mygroup's setting to show the member list to project members only. But how do I see or show the member list? I don't see it anywhere?

Thanks
Ginger
Old 1st March 2015, 01:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerSmith327 View Post
I changed mygroup's setting to show the member list to project members only. But how do I see or show the member list? I don't see it anywhere?

Thanks
Ginger
On your website banner it should list number of members, by clicking on it, it will show you your member list.
Old 1st March 2015, 01:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Member List

Great, thank you. So I can see the list of members as the project admin, but when I signed in as myself, the page just comes up empty. Maybe I have to wait 24 hours for this change to take effect?

Also, I thought it was interesting that I could click on a person's name (as the admin) and it told me I had no surnames in common with that person - I guess this doesn't work if you are an admin because I have surnames in common with almost all of my members! Has anyone else tried this?

Ginger Smith
Goodwin-Godwin DNA Project
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/goodwin/
Old 1st March 2015, 04:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerSmith327 View Post
Great, thank you. So I can see the list of members as the project admin, but when I signed in as myself, the page just comes up empty. Maybe I have to wait 24 hours for this change to take effect?

Also, I thought it was interesting that I could click on a person's name (as the admin) and it told me I had no surnames in common with that person - I guess this doesn't work if you are an admin because I have surnames in common with almost all of my members! Has anyone else tried this?

Ginger Smith
Goodwin-Godwin DNA Project
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/goodwin/
I believe, as an admin, you do not have a DNA profile, you will be(in member list) signed in as the member listed as "..." even though you may have a personal kit in project, therefore you will not show anything in common. If you have a personnel kit in project, you would have sign into kit and use these functions.

But I can not confirm if function is working or not as I too can not see member list (brings up blank page) when signed into my personal kit.
Old 2nd March 2015, 05:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Need feedback from ftdna

Some major concerns have been raised in this thread.
The thread is marked as sticky. Will we see some feedback from ftdna regarding these concerns BEFORE the forced conversion to myGroups?

From my point of view, the most pressing concerns are -
  • All existing URLs for project pages will become dead links.
  • The default page should always be the Background page.
  • The default behaviour should be to show the Most Distant Ancestor.

Please don't break things that are currently working just fine.

I am hoping to see some responses from ftdna BEFORE they change the behaviour of project websites.

FTDNA should communicate to project administrators exactly what will be changed, so that PAs can effectively manage their projects.

It is not acceptable to expect all PAs to learn about project website changes by scanning for beta tester's experiences in some forum.

Last edited by flanged; 2nd March 2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 18th March 2015, 07:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Bump.
Not long to go now, and still no word.
Old 18th March 2015, 07:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Website Links

I am not having trouble with redirects on my site. Is this still an issue?

Ginger
Goodwin-Godwin DNA project
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background
Old 18th March 2015, 09:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Ginger.

Are you saying that re-directs have been implemented for the old project URLs to the new myGroup URLs?

I have not switched my project yet, so I don't know.

Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question A question

Has anyone successfully switched their project in the last 7 days ?

Thank you - W. (Mr.)