Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Basics

X-DNA Basics This forum is for newbie topics about the X-Chromosome. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 6th February 2014, 05:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Need help understanding non-match and match with mother and daughter pair

How is it possible for me (a female) to match a proven 3rd cousin (also female) on an X-Chromosome segment (3.61 cM) and not also match the 3rd cousinís mother (my proven 2nd cousin once removed) on the X-Chromosome? Iím having trouble understanding how I could have that matching 3.61 cM segment with my 3rd cousin unless she inherited it from her mother, in which case I'd expect the mother to match me also. Our paper trail shows that Iím related to both of them (through the 3rd cousin's and my mutual 2nd-great-grandparents, and that I'm not related to the 3rd cousinís father (the 2nd cousinís husband). I wouldnít have found it surprising if I had matched the 2nd cousin once removed (my closer relative) but not matched her daughter on that segment, but Iím not visualizing how itís possible to match the daughter but not her mother.

In case it helps someone answer, the mutual 2nd-great-grandparents are my mother's mother's father's parents; they are the 3rd cousin's mother's (the 2nd cousin once removed's) mother's mother's parents.

TIA for any help in understanding this.
Old 6th February 2014, 09:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

A half-identical match of only 3.6cM has a high probability of being a false positive, regardless of chromosome.

In other words, both you and your match probably share ancestral populations and it just so happens that parts of your and her's X chromosomes are full of very small segments that are common in your ancestral populations, and it just so happened that some of these lined up to get you to 3.6cM "match".