Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 28th March 2018, 10:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Relationship Possibilities

First post

Iím going to try to explain this correctly.

My 15 year old daughter (Iím her father) did an Ancestry DNA kit.

It showed she has two close relatives ( first to second cousin range). The second person on the list is my half sister by my father. My daughter shares 786 cMs across 19 DNA segments with my half sister, my daughterís half-aunt.

The first person on the list is not know by anyone on either side of the family ( mine or you wifeís)

My daughter shares 822 cMs across 31 DNA segments with him. By viewing shared matches, Iím able to see that he is related to my motherís side of the family and not anyone from my wifeís side of the family.

I contacted the individual through the message board, and he told me that was born 8 years after me in my hometown where my mother (who was single at the time),as well as her two younger brothers lived at the time. All three of these siblings were in their 20s at the time. He was adopted immediately, and his records are sealed.

Iím guessing he is my first cousin from one of my uncles or somehow my mother had a child and concealed it from me when I was eight years old.

Could I be missing something?
Old 28th March 2018, 10:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Rocker View Post
First post [----]
Welcome to the world of genetic genealogy!

Quote:
[----] Could I be missing something?
Yes! Please test yourself.

Mr. W.

P.S.
Some participants here are very good in interpreting the results, so I will leave the interpretation of your results to them. But, I just want to confirm something, did you look at
Autosomal DNA statistics
https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics
And I highly recommend that you test yourself regardless of the interpretation you receive.
Old 28th March 2018, 11:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

I am testing myself. One of my first cousins is as well.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I am testing myself. One of my first cousins is as well.
Update. My first cousin was tested and shares 817 cMs with the mystery person (and 605) with me.

I was tested and share 1259 with mystery person.

It appears we are all first cousins.

Any other possibilities? Is it possible he is my half-brother?
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Update. My first cousin was tested and shares 817 cMs with the mystery person (and 605) with me.

I was tested and share 1259 with mystery person.

It appears we are all first cousins.

Any other possibilities? Is it possible he is my half-brother?
Looks like both you and the mystery person need to upload your kits to GEDmatch and do a 'one-to-one' for your X-chromosomes. Males get only one X-chromosome and that would be from the mother. The X passed by the mother to the child would have parts of each of her two X-chromosomes and children would normally get different combinations. If you two are half siblings by the same mother, you would have a pretty sizable X-DNA match.

Good luck!

Jack Wyatt
Old 24th April 2018, 12:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

Are you able to test your mother or one of her siblings?
Is there another cousin you can test from another of you mothers siblings line (different siblings line then the cousin you have tested)

Do you know if this match has done yDNA testing? If so ask him what his surname matches are?

If you are able to test your mothers yDNA line (male 1st cousin of your mothers brothers lines) and this match does yDNA testing, it will show if he is likely to be a son of one of your uncles if yDNA matches
Old 24th April 2018, 12:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

In regards to X, if he shares XDNA with you of an adequate longest segment size (greater then 10cM), he could possibly be a maternal half sibling (very low end of scale for cM total to be half sibling), or he could be a son of your mothers sister (if she has one).
There is no male to male transmission of XDNA, so if he shares XDNA with you, you can definitely rule out any of your mothers brothers.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4/1259
Old 24th April 2018, 10:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
Old 24th April 2018, 11:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
In regards to X, if he shares XDNA with you of an adequate longest segment size (greater then 10cM), he could possibly be a maternal half sibling (very low end of scale for cM total to be half sibling), or he could be a son of your mothers sister (if she has one).
There is no male to male transmission of XDNA, so if he shares XDNA with you, you can definitely rule out any of your mothers brothers.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4/1259
The dns painter shows a 70 percent chance of us being 1st cousins, 30 percent half chance of being half brothers.

Incongruously, it shows my daughter and him as 95 percent half-uncle/half niece and only 5 percent of being 1st cousin once removed which is what the two of them would be if he is my first cousin.

An additional data point is that it shows my known first cousin and I as only having a 24 % chance of being first cousins and my daughter and my first cousin as only a 31% chance of being the correct relationship (1C1R)

Will definitely look at gedmatch.
Old 24th April 2018, 11:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
The dns painter shows a 70 percent chance of us being 1st cousins, 30 percent half chance of being half brothers.

Incongruously, it shows my daughter and him as 95 percent half-uncle/half niece and only 5 percent of being 1st cousin once removed which is what the two of them would be if he is my first cousin.

An additional data point is that it shows my known first cousin and I as only having a 24 % chance of being first cousins and my daughter and my first cousin as only a 31% chance of being the correct relationship (1C1R)

Will definitely look at gedmatch.
If you share more cMs with that Mystery person than your daughter, then do not look at her matching the Mystery person!

Unless you have reasons to believe that Mystery person is related to your daughter both through you and her mother. However, given the numbers you had shared with us, even if it is so, that would be a secondary investigation - after you confirm your relationship.

Mr. W.