• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewkmiller
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2014

MyOrigins

I had my yDNA and Family Finder tests done over a year ago. my yDNA haplogroup came back as J2-M172, which was a surprise to me and MyOrigins came back like this:
    Scandinavia: 45%
    British Isles: 39%
    Southern Europe: 12%
    Middle East/Asia Minor: 4%
    The Middle East/Asia Minor makes sense when you think about my yDNA haplogroup, even if that's a complete mystery to me considering my father's ancestry is "50% Irish and 50% German" and my mother's is "100% German".

I just had my maternal aunt (my mother's sister) tested and this is where things got really confusing for me. Her MyOrigins came back like this:
    Western and Central Europe: 34%
    British Isles: 33%
    Scandinavia: 26%
    Ashkenazi Diaspora: 8%

Did any of the classifications change? Could some of my Scandinavian or British Isles have changed to now be classified as Western and Central Europe? Could my Middle East/Asia Minor now be classified as Ashkenazi?

Any insight into how to make sense of this would be greatly appreciated!
  • grahcom
    mtDNA: U5a2c3a | Y-DNA: I-Z63
    • Feb 2013

I have written repeatedly about ethnicity results as part of the autosomal test offerings of the major DNA testing companies, but I still receive lots of questions about which ethnicity test is bes…

Google admixture and you will find many blogs
    Last edited by grahcom; 18 October 2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Armando
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by grahcom View Post
      http://dna-explained.com/2015/08/19/...g-and-results/

Google admixture and you will find many blogs
      Roberta Estes states "Some of the companies are somewhat better than others relative to ethnicity – but not a lot."

Cece Moore, Tim Janzen, and Ann Turner have all stated that 23andme is the best and so does a majority of people that have tested with multiple companies.

Comment

• Armando
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by matthewkmiller View Post
        I had my yDNA and Family Finder tests done over a year ago. my yDNA haplogroup came back as J2-M172, which was a surprise to me and MyOrigins came back like this:
        Scandinavia: 45%
        British Isles: 39%
        Southern Europe: 12%
        Middle East/Asia Minor: 4%
        The Middle East/Asia Minor makes sense when you think about my yDNA haplogroup, even if that's a complete mystery to me considering my father's ancestry is "50% Irish and 50% German" and my mother's is "100% German".

I just had my maternal aunt (my mother's sister) tested and this is where things got really confusing for me. Her MyOrigins came back like this:
        Western and Central Europe: 34%
        British Isles: 33%
        Scandinavia: 26%
        Ashkenazi Diaspora: 8%

Did any of the classifications change? Could some of my Scandinavian or British Isles have changed to now be classified as Western and Central Europe? Could my Middle East/Asia Minor now be classified as Ashkenazi?

Any insight into how to make sense of this would be greatly appreciated!
        I would get yourself and your aunt tested at 23andme if you or your aunt don't have any Ashkenazi matches. Middle East/Asia Minor keeps popping up in the myOrigins of people with only European ancestry being documented and no matches from Asia Minor or Ashkenazi ancestry. I haven't seen that to be the case at 23andme so if it does happen there it is probably unusual. The 23andme ethnicity calculator is also more consistent with results of people with the same ancestry.

Comment

Working...
        X