Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 14th February 2018, 11:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Processing delays

One of my FF kits in batch 821 finished processing its match list, ancient origins, and chromosome browser yesterday, only one day late, which is not bad.

But the myorigins hasn't finished yet, which if memory serves, is the exact opposite sequence from the other kits I've had done. Dowload of raw results isn't available yet, either.

Anyone else experiencing these weird delays? I'm not outraged, because the most useful bits are done, and only one day late. But the processing sequence is weird, and my main motivation was to get raw data to upload to Gedmatch. I'm a little worried that something may have gone wrong.
Old 15th February 2018, 04:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederator View Post
One of my FF kits in batch 821 finished processing its match list, ancient origins, and chromosome browser yesterday, only one day late, which is not bad.

But the myorigins hasn't finished yet, which if memory serves, is the exact opposite sequence from the other kits I've had done. Dowload of raw results isn't available yet, either.

Anyone else experiencing these weird delays? I'm not outraged, because the most useful bits are done, and only one day late. But the processing sequence is weird, and my main motivation was to get raw data to upload to Gedmatch. I'm a little worried that something may have gone wrong.
Agreed. It's currently weird. Our 821 got done all at once, at least we didn't notice any differences. Only the e-mail notification that it was finished arrived later - by about 3 days. But 822 was in pieces. We got "ancient origins", matches and the downloadable file(!) all together late this past Monday. No "my origins" until today, 3 days later. And still no e-mail notification that the results are in.
Old 17th February 2018, 11:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

Big Y Delay

A little more clarity and open communication would be helpful on these delays. I've done the Y-111, mt and FF as well as additional SNPs. Things seem to take about 6 weeks. I get that some processes take longer than others so that everything isn't always possible at the same time. I also get that all the testing services seem to be somewhat overwhelmed by public response.

I'm a pretty reasonable guy, but I expect estimates to be fairly accurate. I think most of us base our "expectations" on those estimates. A delay is seen as a failure to meet expectations. Delays can happen for many reasons, so I have come to accept that.

However, I think more needs to be done to communicate with customers when a prolonged delay is the case. Since my DNA was already "in house" from previous tests, I expected the usual length of time for processing on the "new and improved" Big Y. My processing started in Nov of last year. I'm now on my 3rd delay and it is looking like Spring or later before I get the results. The "cut and paste" delay update may be OK for one delay, but over and over it just adds to the frustration.

This is not intended to be a dig on FTDNA. The data as helped me in so many ways and the people I have met associated with FTDNA have been great. Since this site is monitored though, I hope management will realize that much of the "delay frustration" could be reduced with an email explaining why the extra time is needed.