Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 17th February 2018, 02:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Half Norwegian but 0% Scandinavian, WHY?

My Origins results are 97% British Isles. My mother was full Norwegian (records back to 1600s). My Dad was full BI. I have "matches" with all of my mother's surnames back to 1600s.

1) Could these results go back to Viking times when Vikings brought Irish men and women back to Norway as slaves and concubines?
2) Could all these Norwegian ancestors have BI DNA? Was there a British/Irish/Scottish invasion of the Sognefjord that we don't know about?
3) NPE? When?
4) Could I have inherited ONLY my father's DNA and somehow my mother's just disappeared?

Why is there not even 1% Scandinavian showing when there are so many Norw. Matches in Norway and elsewhere?
Old 17th February 2018, 02:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Please do not interpret MyOrigins as much more than an entertaining series of guesses. Lots of people in the BI are rooted in Nordic lines, and there is no such thing as "Norwegian" DNA. The system of spreading DNA through the BI was certainly a Viking specialty. Being "full" Norwegian does not mean that your mother's ancient DNA did not travel across the Balkans.

My Haplo expert describes my Y Haplo as anciently "Anglo-Saxon," and current male populations in Gothenberg Sweden are just loaded with my haplo-mates, possibly more concentrated there than in England.

So it made sense that MyOrigins once showed me as mostly British, with a large chunk (over 30%) Scandinavian, and 2% South-Central Asian.

Today it shows me as 88% Brit, 3% Iberian and 6% Sephardic Jew! My Scandinavian is gone! My Jewish roots were previously unsuspected. My Asian trace made sense to me as a possible Native American connection, but now it is relegated to <2% trace results!

Please do not take these things seriously, your complaint is echoed across this forum as possibly the Number One cry: "Why does my [heritage] not show?" One day it might, and will still be an interpretation of something that is basically unknowable. Our genes just frankly don't give a damn about geopolitical divisions, religion or cultural norms and most of them go all over the place.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 17th February 2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 17th February 2018, 04:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
Please do not interpret MyOrigins as much more than an entertaining series of guesses. Lots of people in the BI are rooted in Nordic lines, and there is no such thing as "Norwegian" DNA. The system of spreading DNA through the BI was certainly a Viking specialty. Being "full" Norwegian does not mean that your mother's ancient DNA did not travel across the Balkans.

My Haplo expert describes my Y Haplo as anciently "Anglo-Saxon," and current male populations in Gothenberg Sweden are just loaded with my haplo-mates, possibly more concentrated there than in England.

So it made sense that MyOrigins once showed me as mostly British, with a large chunk (over 30%) Scandinavian, and 2% South-Central Asian.

Today it shows me as 88% Brit, 3% Iberian and 6% Sephardic Jew! My Scandinavian is gone! My Jewish roots were previously unsuspected. My Asian trace made sense to me as a possible Native American connection, but now it is relegated to <2% trace results!

Please do not take these things seriously, your complaint is echoed across this forum as possibly the Number One cry: "Why does my [heritage] not show?" One day it might, and will still be an interpretation of something that is basically unknowable. Our genes just frankly don't give a damn about geopolitical divisions, religion or cultural norms and most of them go all over the place.
Many thanks for your detailed insights. Your case is quite instructive in this regard, and I appreciate your sharing of your results. Amazing how some percentages just seem to disappear!

Does anyone else have possible answers to my questions?

Very grateful for any responses...
Old 17th February 2018, 04:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

It's doubtful that your autosomal results trace back to Viking times. That is quite far back and it is doubtful we share any autosomal DNA with ancestors from that period of time.

I cannot comment on the ethnicity results or compare them to my own scenario, but I agree with clintonslayton in that you shouldn't read too much into the results.
Old 17th February 2018, 06:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani Friend View Post
My Origins results are 97% British Isles. My mother was full Norwegian (records back to 1600s). My Dad was full BI. I have "matches" with all of my mother's surnames back to 1600s.

1) Could these results go back to Viking times when Vikings brought Irish men and women back to Norway as slaves and concubines?
2) Could all these Norwegian ancestors have BI DNA? Was there a British/Irish/Scottish invasion of the Sognefjord that we don't know about?
3) NPE? When?
4) Could I have inherited ONLY my father's DNA and somehow my mother's just disappeared?

Why is there not even 1% Scandinavian showing when there are so many Norw. Matches in Norway and elsewhere?

I don't know how this fits in but there is evidence that Vikings from Sognefjord invaded Ireland. Irish treasure on the north shore.
Old 17th February 2018, 07:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

My mothers the opposite. She is 50% English ,50% Scandinavian

She shows 90% Scandinavian, 4% British isle, 6% Southern Europe

Her 3siblings show 59%, 79% and 84% scandinavian
Old 17th February 2018, 08:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

[QUOTE=spruithean;448618]It's doubtful that your autosomal results trace back to Viking times. That is quite far back and it is doubtful we share any autosomal DNA with ancestors from that period of time.

Thanks, yes it does seem improbable, but that would be an explanation of how so many ancestors in this region (Sognefjord) inherited BI DNA. I just can't figure out any other historical explanation for Irish/Scottish/English markers in these people since they were so isolated. If they all descended from British Isle slaves, they would share that DNA.
Old 17th February 2018, 08:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
My mothers the opposite. She is 50% English ,50% Scandinavian

She shows 90% Scandinavian, 4% British isle, 6% Southern Europe

Her 3siblings show 59%, 79% and 84% scandinavian
Many British people inherited Scandinavian DNA from the Viking invasions and settlements, so that could account for her extra Scandinavian % and that of her siblings.
Old 17th February 2018, 08:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
I don't know how this fits in but there is evidence that Vikings from Sognefjord invaded Ireland. Irish treasure on the north shore.
What are your sources for this? I would like to read more about it.
Old 17th February 2018, 08:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruithean View Post

I cannot comment on the ethnicity results or compare them to my own scenario, but I agree with clintonslayton in that you shouldn't read too much into the results.
So are you saying there could be an error with FT calculations? That it's just not that accurate?