Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - New and Begining Admins

Old 29th September 2017, 06:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Links to member projects not working

Until about a month ago, there were live links on each member's homepage for each of the projects that a member belongs to, but those links are no longer working. This feature was of particular value to me as I have a large number of family in my projects, and it was very easy to check on other projects' updates without having to individually log into each kit. Is this an IT glitch, or was there a policy change implemented by FTDNA? If a change, what was the reasoning?
Old 29th September 2017, 11:41 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

I just checked an account I manage, which is in several projects. All the links work. Have you tried a different browser, or refreshed your current browser?
Old 29th September 2017, 12:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for the suggestion. I had already tried that, but I just tried again, even using a different computer, and still no live links. Will call on Monday since quirky IT issues have happened before. Glad to know FTDNA didn't change our ability to do that.
Old 30th September 2017, 02:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

I doubt it is a glitch. What vinnie is referring to is that admin accounts used to be able to use those project links just like a regular account can. There was a recent change that made this list simple text and not links for admin accounts. When I saw it, I just assumed it was a change on purpose, but I never saw any notice about it anywhere.

To see this, just log into the GAP and click on a member kit. Vinnie, if you do contact them, let us know how it goes.
Old 30th September 2017, 03:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Until about a month ago, there were live links on each member's homepage for each of the projects that a member belongs to, but those links are no longer working. This feature was of particular value to me as I have a large number of family in my projects, and it was very easy to check on other projects' updates without having to individually log into each kit. Is this an IT glitch, or was there a policy change implemented by FTDNA? If a change, what was the reasoning?
Before when there were links were you able to access those links to projects that even were marked as private? Because before even when the links were active I couldn't log into projects of the kits I manage when logged into GAP even if I granted myself full access to those kits. I figured they did it for privacy reasons but it defeats the purpose of those who manage all their kits from one login if they have to individually login to each kit in order to view projects.
Old 30th September 2017, 03:42 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Interesting. I have a very small project, mainly created so it would be easier to handle most of the accounts I manage. I've logged into my GAP, and found the same situation as vinnie. I suppose I never noticed the disabling of the project links, since I usually use my project to check other things for the accounts.

I did notice one other thing in one account, accessed via the GAP: notifications for posts in two of the projects for that account; but when I tried to view the feed for one, I was not allowed to view it, and it showed "Pending" instead of "Join" or "Member" or whatever it says when you already have joined. The other project feed was accessible with no issue. This account has been in all the listed projects for a long time, so it's not an issue of a recently joined project.

Last edited by KATM; 30th September 2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 1st October 2017, 09:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

If project admins restrict access to project members, then other admins trying to access the project through in-common members while logged into GAP will not be able to view the project - I've already encountered a few of those. But if a project's results are publicly accessible, I see no reason for this, if in fact it has to do with privacy concerns.
Old 1st October 2017, 09:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
Vinnie, if you do contact them, let us know how it goes.
Will let you all know what I find out.

Last edited by vinnie; 1st October 2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy Thank Other Admins

You can thank admins who were making improper use of these links for their removal.
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
You can thank admins who were making improper use of these links for their removal.
Can you elaborate without mentioning admins' or projects' names?

I confirmed with the office that they removed the links due to privacy concerns. I explained that I, when logged into GAP, could already not access the results of any project whose admin had made results restricted to members. I was told to contact groups@ftdna.

Without knowing what has happened to precipitate this change, I tentatively believe that this decision is overkill, and places an unnecessary burden on those of us who are not only admins, but who personally manage several (in my case, A LOT of) kits.