Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - New and Begining Admins

Old 5th April 2017, 01:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm about as new as it gets. I could use some help.

The title tells it all. I started out taking the yDNA111 test and that built into 13 - 1st cousins taking various FTDNA tests. I thought it would be a good idea to have everyone under one roof. Right now I log into each cousin and need to log out to view other tests. All tests are administered by me. I bought each test and most are under my name.

I have the administrator site setup and can easily log onto it easily. My question is I havve never been able to take the next step and get everyone into my administrator account. Could someone please walk me through what I must do next.
Thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 5th April 2017, 01:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

What do you mean get everyone into your admin account? What you do is have the other accounts join your project. Then you can go into each kit that is in the same project.
Old 5th April 2017, 08:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Have you added your kit to the project? Have you asked the cousins to add their kit to the project or you can add them yourself if you have their kit number and password.

To add a kit to the project sign into the kit, hover over the "Projects" tab and click on "Join a project" from the drop down menu. Search for your project name. The rest should be easy.
Old 5th April 2017, 11:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

No I have not added any of the accounts yet. I keep getting this email,

The kit number you entered is not part of this project. Full access only works for kits that are a part of your project. Please add this kit to your project before trying to gain full access.

How do I have them join my project? I have bought and paid for each of the tests so I do not need to buy any kits. I adjust trying to add them my account and I just can't figure out how to do that.
Rich
Old 5th April 2017, 09:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

You have to log out. Then log into each of those cousin kits. Then do as Jim said to each kit. After that, log back into your admin account and you will find these kits in your project in pages like Member Reports > Member Notes.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

If it is a Family Finder Project - doesn't it require that he, as admin., send an invite?
If not, how is the project found from within the Kit?

Because - pretty these do NOT show when you search for a Project Name. If they do, please tell me how to find them.

If there are other Projects that can be Private - same for them as well.

editing:
>>Think found answer to the original Question -- here: http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...99&postcount=2

Last edited by loobster; 6th April 2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 15th April 2017, 06:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

OK - Finally decided to create a FamilyFinder Project. So - totally baffled - have used Temporary Id and Password they sent me -- I really wasn't sure what the UserName is used for - so may not have chosen correctly for that - But at least got that far.

Now they tell me
"Current groups associated with [username I created]
-and they list the FamilyFinderProject

and to the right it says:
Enter a DKit and Code to associate the group with [username I created}

Do they mean
1) enter my Kit ID and Password
or 2) enter my Kit ID and create a code
or ???
Old 15th April 2017, 07:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

OR -- was that just for adding even more groups??
For my first group, they gave me a Temporary ID and a password - not a "DKit and Code" -- so I am baffled.
Old 15th April 2017, 08:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

So - now I am stuck exactly where richjh was.
I decided "Enter a DKit and Code to ..." was just for adding more groups, and clicked on "Sign In" --

If I try to use Join Authorization, and enter the KitID and Password for one of the Kits I manage, it just gives me the message: "The kit number you entered is not part of this project. Full access only works for kits that are a part of your project. Please add this kit to your project before trying to gain full access."

It is a FamilyFinder Project, so if I log out of admin and go log in to one of the kits I manage it does not show in "Join Project". So no good.

I sent myself (my email) a join request from within the Project (when logged in as admin) - and that sent me an e-mail - with a link - but it does not seem to get me anywhere. --
If I click on the link, I get a page headed with "Join The "<my family finder Project> Group Project" - but I see no way to do so.
And Clicking on the only thing that seems likely, "Contact Group Administrator" appears to do absolutely nothing, and when I log out of the Kit and in as an Administrator - seems also that nothing happened.

Last edited by loobster; 15th April 2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 16th April 2017, 07:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobster View Post
So - now I am stuck exactly where richjh was.
I decided "Enter a DKit and Code to ..." was just for adding more groups, and clicked on "Sign In" --

If I try to use Join Authorization, and enter the KitID and Password for one of the Kits I manage, it just gives me the message: "The kit number you entered is not part of this project. Full access only works for kits that are a part of your project. Please add this kit to your project before trying to gain full access."

It is a FamilyFinder Project, so if I log out of admin and go log in to one of the kits I manage it does not show in "Join Project". So no good.

I sent myself (my email) a join request from within the Project (when logged in as admin) - and that sent me an e-mail - with a link - but it does not seem to get me anywhere. --
If I click on the link, I get a page headed with "Join The "<my family finder Project> Group Project" - but I see no way to do so.
And Clicking on the only thing that seems likely, "Contact Group Administrator" appears to do absolutely nothing, and when I log out of the Kit and in as an Administrator - seems also that nothing happened.
In the GAP Project Administration tab select "Project Profile". Next to "Returning Join Link" copy the entire link and send that link to those who wish to join or use that link to join your own kits to the project. Important: To join your kits to the project you must log out of GAP first then log in to an individual kit and after logging in go to your Returning Join Link and then join project, log into each individual account you wish to join the project and repeat above step for all your individual kits you wish to be part of the project. If your project is marked as private then that join link will take you to a join request form, fill that out and then approve as administrator.

Then to grant full access to all your personal kits: in GAP under My Account click on "Kit Authorization" and then enter the Kit Number and password for each account you wish to have full access to in GAP.