Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25th October 2016, 08:43 PM
richjh richjh is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palo Alto CA
Posts: 59
Blog Entries: 2
My cousin took the mtDNA test now what?

I had my 1st cousin Joan who is the granddaughter of Mary Elizabeth Irvine and Norman who is her son both took the mtDNA test. A birth certificate for her has never been found and the concensus is for whatever reason one was never acquired. This wouldn't be bad if we knew her mother.

So I have taken the FamilyFinder along with everyone else. My question is where would one start in locating her and would it help if I took the mtDNA test or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Rich
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26th October 2016, 08:11 PM
keigh keigh is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 461
If your cousin, Joan, is a direct female descendant of Mary Irvine, both Joan and her son would have Mary Irvine's mtDNA. Was your mother a direct female (no father's between) descendant of Mary Irvine as well? If so since you share your mother's mtDNA, you should also show up as a mtDNA match with your cousin.

Matching prospective descendants of a maternal line is what mtDNA is basically good for. In other words, actually confirming someone is a match, not just looking for matches. Looking for maternal names it isn't so good for since maternal names change with each marriage.

Another question is did you have your cousin do a complete mtDNA test, the FMS with region, or just to HRV2 level. You can have any number of HRV2 levels matches who won't match you on the FF autosomal tests. Actually you can have FMS tests who won't match you as cousins as well. The mtDNA can go back hundreds and thousands of years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27th October 2016, 12:00 AM
darroll darroll is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by keigh View Post
If your cousin, Joan, is a direct female descendant of Mary Irvine, both Joan and her son would have Mary Irvine's mtDNA. Was your mother a direct female (no father's between) descendant of Mary Irvine as well? If so since you share your mother's mtDNA, you should also show up as a mtDNA match with your cousin.

Matching prospective descendants of a maternal line is what mtDNA is basically good for. In other words, actually confirming someone is a match, not just looking for matches. Looking for maternal names it isn't so good for since maternal names change with each marriage.

Another question is did you have your cousin do a complete mtDNA test, the FMS with region, or just to HRV2 level. You can have any number of HRV2 levels matches who won't match you on the FF autosomal tests. Actually you can have FMS tests who won't match you as cousins as well. The mtDNA can go back hundreds and thousands of years.
MYDNA is the best test out there. 0-0-0 is a real match
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27th October 2016, 10:03 AM
mattn mattn is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by richjh View Post
I had my 1st cousin Joan who is the granddaughter of Mary Elizabeth Irvine and Norman who is her son both took the mtDNA test. A birth certificate for her has never been found and the concensus is for whatever reason one was never acquired. This wouldn't be bad if we knew her mother.

So I have taken the FamilyFinder along with everyone else. My question is where would one start in locating her and would it help if I took the mtDNA test or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Rich
The mtDNA passes from mother to her children (male and female) but only the female children pass it on to the next generation etc. It looks like you mentioned in another post that you are trying to find a paternal grandmother this Mary Elizabeth Irvine. So the answer is no, taking the mtDNA test yourself would be of no benefit as you received your mtDNA from your mother not your father. If you want people to help you, you need to explain better what you are trying to do and the exact relationships of the people involved as it matters greatly in how DNA is passed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th October 2016, 01:58 PM
richjh richjh is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palo Alto CA
Posts: 59
Blog Entries: 2
Mattn,
Now that finally makes perfect sense. I was very fortunate to get the mtDNA from her granddaughter. Her mother was Mae Haggan the daughter of Mary Elizabeth Irvine. I also got the DNA from my uncle the son of Mary Elizabeth Irvine. Just to be sure along with his yDNA67 I also had him take the mtDNA test. Hopefully that covers all the bases
Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn View Post
The mtDNA passes from mother to her children (male and female) but only the female children pass it on to the next generation etc. It looks like you mentioned in another post that you are trying to find a paternal grandmother this Mary Elizabeth Irvine. So the answer is no, taking the mtDNA test yourself would be of no benefit as you received your mtDNA from your mother not your father. If you want people to help you, you need to explain better what you are trying to do and the exact relationships of the people involved as it matters greatly in how DNA is passed.

Last edited by richjh; 28th October 2016 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29th October 2016, 10:10 AM
mattn mattn is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by richjh View Post
Mattn,
Now that finally makes perfect sense. I was very fortunate to get the mtDNA from her granddaughter. Her mother was Mae Haggan the daughter of Mary Elizabeth Irvine. I also got the DNA from my uncle the son of Mary Elizabeth Irvine. Just to be sure along with his yDNA67 I also had him take the mtDNA test. Hopefully that covers all the bases
Rich
Yes, the granddaughter Joan and the son Norman should match on an mtDNA test both receiving their mtDNA from Mary Elizabeth Irvine if your genealogy is correct. Reading your other posts it is not clear to me what you are actually looking for, it is not clear if you are trying to confirm that she is indeed your grandmother or if you are trying to find her parents or both.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 3rd November 2016, 01:08 PM
richjh richjh is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palo Alto CA
Posts: 59
Blog Entries: 2
Joan's mother was Mary Hagan who's mother was Mary Elizaeth Irvine. I also had her son my uncle take the mtDNA test in hopes that someday I can find her family. Both party's results are in. I figure by cross referencing each other that I might be able to find her.
My mother was a Risk from Belfast also.
Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by keigh View Post
If your cousin, Joan, is a direct female descendant of Mary Irvine, both Joan and her son would have Mary Irvine's mtDNA. Was your mother a direct female (no father's between) descendant of Mary Irvine as well? If so since you share your mother's mtDNA, you should also show up as a mtDNA match with your cousin.

Matching prospective descendants of a maternal line is what mtDNA is basically good for. In other words, actually confirming someone is a match, not just looking for matches. Looking for maternal names it isn't so good for since maternal names change with each marriage.

Another question is did you have your cousin do a complete mtDNA test, the FMS with region, or just to HRV2 level. You can have any number of HRV2 levels matches who won't match you on the FF autosomal tests. Actually you can have FMS tests who won't match you as cousins as well. The mtDNA can go back hundreds and thousands of years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21st November 2016, 11:55 AM
richjh richjh is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palo Alto CA
Posts: 59
Blog Entries: 2
Direct decendant

Joan Bailie's mother was Mary Hagan the daughter of Mary Elizabeth Irvine.
Rich
P.S. - I've been away for sometime.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought a cousin a test--she kicked me off RandomGenie Grumbles & Gripes 17 5th October 2014 06:25 PM
Most effective test for testing for a 4th cousin we6jbo DNA and Genealogy for Beginners 1 10th June 2013 08:09 AM
Should I test my patrilineal 3rd cousin ? Lklundin Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced 2 12th July 2012 09:32 AM
How to manage an FF test for a cousin? royfarnol Family Finder Advanced Topics 13 3rd January 2011 05:00 PM
Cousin wants to do a Dna test dnaval DNA and Genealogy for Beginners 1 3rd August 2007 07:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.