Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 13th May 2015, 10:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Significance of (full) haplogroup matches under Haplogroup Origins??

I'm still trying to figure this out. I transferred my Genographic results to FTDNA. Under Haplogroup Origins for HVR1/HVR2/Coding Region, I have only a few matches for my exact mtDNA Haplogroup with subclades. The Genographic site said my haplogroup was only shared with .01% of THEIR participants, so I'm guessing it's kind of rare..?

What is the significance of this? Does it mean we share a common maternal ancestor??

Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 11:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattoo13 View Post
I'm still trying to figure this out. I transferred my Genographic results to FTDNA. Under Haplogroup Origins for HVR1/HVR2/Coding Region, I have only a few matches for my exact mtDNA Haplogroup with subclades. The Genographic site said my haplogroup was only shared with .01% of THEIR participants, so I'm guessing it's kind of rare..?

What is the significance of this? Does it mean we share a common maternal ancestor??

Thanks
Yes, but how far back you share a common maternal ancestor is the real question. I guess it is harder to guage with mtDNA because there is not a shared Surname trail that you can easily follow. That said, if you check trees for matches you may get lucky!

Hoping someone else can answer how many generations back an exact match might go.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks! I have a few more questions, maybe you or somebody else could answer.

For 2 of the self-reported countries I have 1 match each, and for the other country, I have 3 matches. For the single matches, is that more significant because it's only one?
Does it also mean that our shared distant ancestor was most likely from the country listed?

I'd also like to know the answer to your question, about have many generations an exact match goes back.
Old 13th May 2015, 04:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattoo13 View Post

I'd also like to know the answer to your question, about have many generations an exact match goes back.
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/

For exact coding region matches
"50% confidence it is within 5 generations(about 125 years), 95% confidence it is within 22 Generations (about 550 years)

MtDNA handbook
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/mtdna-testing/
Old 13th May 2015, 09:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/

For exact coding region matches
"50% confidence it is within 5 generations(about 125 years), 95% confidence it is within 22 Generations (about 550 years)

MtDNA handbook
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/mtdna-testing/
Thank you...